Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem for a few years now. The bike has not been ridden much and did not get the attention it needed while in storage. since I am starting to ride it again, I would like this taken care of.

it started out as I would cross deeper water. (around 2 ft deep) would be running fine and suddenly would act like it was out of fuel and die.
Drag it out of the water and let it dry. it would fire up and run again. aced like a flooded engine that just needed enough time for the plug to dry up.

the problem gradually got worse.

most recently I hit a puddle (maybe a couple inches deep) at speed on a field access road. lost all power coming out the other side and felt like it was going to die. I stayed on the throttle and it cleared itself and ran fine. I spent the rest of that ride dodging puddles to avoid the issue.

my first thought was maybe bad spark plug wire or connection at the coil. water getting on it causing it to ground out, no spark or no good spark fouling the plug leaving it dead in the water. Since I started looking into it I see the coil is up pretty high so I am a bit surprised if it would be a connection there. could a could the plug wire be in that bad of shape that it could be grounding out the way I am thinking just from a puddle?

Also it is just out of storage, I have not been in the water with it yet as everything here is good and frozen, but when warm it has started backfiring (only seems to be when you let off the throttle completely) this is furthering my thinking that there is a spark issue. as the current plug is showing more rich than lean. (old plug tho...)

first plan is to get a new plug and wire(I believe the wire is original and owes me nothing), but I am curious if anybody else has been through this type of an issue. Mine is a 2002 Trailblazer 250

·
Registered
74 Posts
Id check breather box plugs and carburetor boot it’s sucking in water by the sounds , electrical would take longer to dry out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think the electrical is staying wet. I think it is just grounding while the water is present. and fowling the plug. then it takes 20-30 minutes for the plug to dry enough to fire again.
its not in through the air box as my filter has not been wet at all.
Carb boot, maybe. but would be surprised. would not have imagined enough water getting that high on the back side of the motor for the type of water I have been crossing. Have you ever seen a carb boot in such bad shape that it would pull enough water from drops through cracks and stall out a motor?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The plug wire and coil is one piece - can't replace one without the other - part number 3083923 $165 from Polaris

Yes - I have seen this issue

Getting wet does not usually cause grounding out, but rather a loss of continuity at a poor connection - waterproofing all the connections with dielectric grease usually resolves the problem. Sometimes you can isolate the trouble prone area or circuit by spraying water on each component while the engine is running to see if you can get it to cut out or die.

As to the backfiring, try a new spark plug - plugs can go bad in storage from condensation inside the engine, especially on a two stroke. Also, since it only seems to do it while decelerating, check that there is adequate slack in the throttle cable. If the slack is insufficient, the throttle safety switch may be making slight contact when you let off the throttle and this will induce a backfire.

If you do all this, let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
As for the running rough in water problem I'd go through each electrical connector and die-electric grease them, even the spark plug wire both ends. As you're going through each connector look for damaged loom, that's a very good indicator of damaged wires. Also where the loom ends is an abrasion point where the wires can become damaged.

As for the backfiring likely from the old gas in the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tip. I have never heard of the throttle safety switch before I will have to look into that.

Thanks for the part number on the coil/plug wire as well. I have not done much of any investigation into it yet, and knowing things like this will be handy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gas is new.
Ill throw a plug in it and see if that clears up my backfiring issue. I will go after the electrical after that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to go through some other points before buying anything, but in the interest of gaining knowledge has anybody used a replacement coil other than stock. Seems there are a number of companies selling a more traditional coil and wire separate to replace the one piece unit that polaris used. Has anyone on here tried it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update. Backfire and stall issue seems to be gone. Only ran for 5 or 10 minutes. But seemed to be 100%
Thanks latebird for the tip. I think the issue was actually to much slack in the throttle cable. And it was not releasing completely. Tightened up the cable a bit and the switch stopped contacting. Some other small issues to look into then I will go more after the water problem this thread was started for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts