Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new 2016 Sportsman 570 and Polaris plow package. Doesn't even have 10 hours on it and stalls out while plowing. Seems to happen more frequently when hitting snow or stopping to shift. Read some of the previous posts and seems as if I'm not the only one. Dealer says make sure battery cables are tight then bring it in. Battery terminals are tight, gas is new this fall, not hitting the shut off on the handle bar, battery is about 12.28V while machine is off and 14 something running. WTF!!!! Has anyone gotten an answer or have a solid fix? Good thing I kept my snowblower.

Commander769 - tried to PM you but I must not be completely activated yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine has done it brand new and still does with 130 miles. Happens with light taps on the throttle. I haven't really found an answer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Never heard of it and I have seen some videos of 570's pushing pretty good amounts of snow. Does it seem to stall out when it gets too much of a snow load or does it seem to be related with something you do with the throttle?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Never heard of it and I have seen some videos of 570's pushing pretty good amounts of snow. Does it seem to stall out when it gets too much of a snow load or does it seem to be related with something you do with the throttle?
Mines like this and it seems about the same way others stall aswell. Happens towards the end, you can hear me tappin on the throttle.https://youtu.be/rP2WZiUI8fg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Take it back in to the dealer...... utilize the warranty!!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Mine stalls at least a couple of times while plowing too. I think it has to do with the battery power, but I could be wrong.
Always starts back up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let go of the throttle before it begins to slow down at the bank. It should reach idle before you come to a complete stop, else it will stall. Treat it like a standard in that regards. Think about it, with rpm up belt is engaged. There is no torque converter in this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine did the same thing, hard push into a bank, hard on the throttle, as soon as it starts to slow down, release the throttle...stall; restarts right away. After dozens of these occasions, I started to notice things...

battery - I have a hardwired volt meter running all the time, battery voltage just fine; even after plowing for an hour. Not a battery issue in my case
Method - I backed off a bit on the throttle before hitting the bank, that improved things but still stalled once and awhile
Gas - I was running the same gas the dealer had in it, who knows how long it was sitting. I ran it down to 1/3 and filled it up with new gas...new gas and new method; no stalls, in the last 3 plow sessions (each around 1-2 hours).

My guess, only a guess, is that its a bug in the fuel curve in the computer and maybe in combination with the EBS. My reasoning is that hitting the bank (everything is slowing, and heating up) is indicating to the computer that it should back off the injector pulses, at the same time I'm lifting the throttle input, an addition requirement to back off the injector pulses - one of the two is adjusted for too quickly/radically and the engine fuel is instantly cut off. Makes sense in my tiny engineering trained mind since when it stalls, it doesn't sputter or wind down, it just quits instantly. The other thing to note it that it starts right up, no winding and sputtering; starts instantly. The stoping instantly indicates no fuel, the starting so easily also indicates there isn't any wasted fuel in the engine (no signs of flooding or partial flooding when it starts).

I'm going with a combination of crappy dealer gas and a bug in the computer fuel curve. Good gas and by slightly altering my plowing style, I get good results...

That being said, it sucks that I can't take this thing full on into a snow pile and not worry about whether or not its going to stall out at the end.

ron

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did the same thing, hard push into a bank, hard on the throttle, as soon as it starts to slow down, release the throttle...stall; restarts right away. After dozens of these occasions, I started to notice things...

battery - I have a hardwired volt meter running all the time, battery voltage just fine; even after plowing for an hour. Not a battery issue in my case
Method - I backed off a bit on the throttle before hitting the bank, that improved things but still stalled once and awhile
Gas - I was running the same gas the dealer had in it, who knows how long it was sitting. I ran it down to 1/3 and filled it up with new gas...new gas and new method; no stalls, in the last 3 plow sessions (each around 1-2 hours).

My guess, only a guess, is that its a bug in the fuel curve in the computer and maybe in combination with the EBS. My reasoning is that hitting the bank (everything is slowing, and heating up) is indicating to the computer that it should back off the injector pulses, at the same time I'm lifting the throttle input, an addition requirement to back off the injector pulses - one of the two is adjusted for too quickly/radically and the engine fuel is instantly cut off. Makes sense in my tiny engineering trained mind since when it stalls, it doesn't sputter or wind down, it just quits instantly. The other thing to note it that it starts right up, no winding and sputtering; starts instantly. The stoping instantly indicates no fuel, the starting so easily also indicates there isn't any wasted fuel in the engine (no signs of flooding or partial flooding when it starts).

I'm going with a combination of crappy dealer gas and a bug in the computer fuel curve. Good gas and by slightly altering my plowing style, I get good results...

That being said, it sucks that I can't take this thing full on into a snow pile and not worry about whether or not its going to stall out at the end.

ron
You are over-thinking it.

It's just the clutch still engaged with engine RPM above idle when the bike hits a resistance that slows the bike to a dead stop, with too much friction against wheels to keep spinning at suck low speed. Hence.. motor stalls. Same thing happens if you accidentally let go too late going over logs.

The same exact problem happens with plow trucks that have standard transmissions or torque converters that lock in 1st (rare)

For those that do have battery problems keeping up with the plow... thats a different story. My battery is pretty weak as of lately.. so what I do is i only move the winch when throttle is applied. It takes a bit of practice finding a good groove ballancing throttle, winch, clutch position and rpm but once you do, bike will NEVER stall.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is not a standard transmission. This doesn't have a torque converter. As soon as the gas is released the clutch should release the belt. No stalling. Not normal!
Unless a clutch can disengage within a split second (which it cannot), it will stall if it comes to a complete stop against a snow bank before it disengages. It's basic mechanics. The engine rpm cannot go from whatever to 1250 in 0.111 seconds. It just cannot. Even if it could, by some miracle, the clutch still has a delay, too, due to centrifugal force.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
try the follow procedure,
if you drive in a pile bring the ATV with the brake and not with the snow to a stop,
i am pretty sure this will avoid the stalling and in the same time the hard shifting,it takes a while to get use to but it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, plowed 3 driveways on Sunday and it only happened one time. When it stalls, the dash still has power so maybe not a battery issue. The dealer hasn't heard of this problem so Ill print up all of your recommendations on this thread and hopefully we can figure something out. Thanks for all of your help guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is not a standard transmission. This doesn't have a torque converter. As soon as the gas is released the clutch should release the belt. No stalling. Not normal!
Unless a clutch can disengage within a split second (which it cannot), it will stall if it comes to a complete stop against a snow bank before it disengages. It's basic mechanics. The engine rpm cannot go from whatever to 1250 in 0.111 seconds. It just cannot. Even if it could, by some miracle, the clutch still has a delay, too, due to centrifugal force.
Primary clutches do open in an instant, there is no delay. As soon as that engine gets down below engagement speed it opens. Let's not forget that the secondary is open slightly at plowing speed, which means your primary will let go of the belt even quicker.
My machine has only ever stalled once....about 3 seconds into a 10 degree cold start.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts