Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked my 2013 850 XP up from the dealer for a routine check before going down to The Hatfield and McCoy Trails in WV. Dealer strongly advised me to start and continue using Star Tron, a cure ethanol, gum and varnish remover. Stated this product or similar ones are a must.. Any feed back from folks using these products??? Thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!

Star torn is a good one! It's just what your dealer said. I prefer Sea Foam because it will also clean out/up old existing problems as well as prevent new.

But either as well as the excellent products from Lucas will do a damn shot better then Nothing!!

CW

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Did u buy from cycle motion? When I bought my quad it was suggested to use star-tron. I either use star-tron, sta-bil, or Lucas brand ethonal/stabilizers in my atv fuel tank. And after getting educated on the harmful effects of ethonal treated gasoline I use these additives in all my small engines.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, I didn't buy it from them, but they serviced it. They were pretty honest, they said everything was fine and didn't even bill me.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
I have used Sea Foam a couple of times over the last several years, but for the most part I don't use any additives, and have had zero problems with any of my small engines. I sometimes wonder if too big of a deal is made about 10% ethanol being added. You can't buy gas here that isn't 10% ethanol, so it's not like I don't use it. I know if they go to a higher percentage it will likely cause issues, but 10% seems to be okay. Fortunately my truck is diesel and my car can run either regular or E85, so no worries with either of them if they raise the limit.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
850 Posts
Any one ever use the polaris fuel treatment? I've run a shot in every tank so far so good was just curious I know for a fact seafoam is great stuff but why not the polaris brand stuff ? In a white bottle

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The vast majority of issues come from the fuel sitting. If used quickly not a large a issue. Also in a auto, the tanks are much larger, yes that's more surface area so it's somewhat moot the tanks are generally deeper so overall percentage wise less water can be found in auto. PLUS the auto tanks are shielded from much of the suns heat. Heating of the fuel causes the expansion and this season ages the moisture molecules formation in our tanks.

IMHO it's a good habit to get into. Sure it costs but it's cheaper over time meaning I would rather dump a couple extra dollars every time I fill up than hundreds or thousands at one time later to fix the damage/problems.

The facts are ethanol is alcohol and alcohol absorbs moisture. Ethanol fuel will "gum or Varnish" quicker than non ethanol fuels when allowed to sit for periods of time. I say why chance it. Much like choosing a cheap trailer tire to haul your 10K investment and gambling it would be OK ill spend 10$ every dozen tank fills and "treat" my fuel and gamble I'm right. Instead of rolling the dice and doing nothing that I may be wrong. ;)

CW

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Honestly I'm skeptical about the fuel additives. But a couple of cents on the gallon is peace of mind. I take all the precautionary steps when it comes to my seasonal equipment, I.e. draining the fuel tank running the carb dry. Never had a problem with any of my equipment. As I became aware of the chemical problems of ethonal I started using an additive. I can sum it up like this, the first 75,000 miles I put on my Cummings I didn't use an additive, then when we bought the duramax for the wife I started using diesel concentrate from ams oil in both trucks. Looking back I wish I had used it from day one in the ram. I have calculated this over a years period that I am getting 1 mpg more out of the jeep by using the ethonal additive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have used Sea Foam a couple of times over the last several years, but for the most part I don't use any additives, and have had zero problems with any of my small engines. I sometimes wonder if too big of a deal is made about 10% ethanol being added. You can't buy gas here that isn't 10% ethanol, so it's not like I don't use it. I know if they go to a higher percentage it will likely cause issues, but 10% seems to be okay. Fortunately my truck is diesel and my car can run either regular or E85, so no worries with either of them if they raise the limit.
I am with you. In many small engines if they are purchased after 2005 most if not all of the carbs are built with ethanol friendly parts. Boat motors are usually the most acceptable being most are older and built when they didn't have ethanol fuels. There are a lot of nasty myths/misconceptions about ethanol fuel that many believe.

If you leave any fuel untreated for long periods of time you will see varnish and lower octane rating. That is just the nature of the beast (petroleum) has nothing to do whether it is ethanol or not.

If you look at the back of most additives they are actually majority iso-propyl which is alcohol (ethanol). Alcohol is used as a treatment because it will "eat" or loosen varnish which will end up clogging your carb causing it to run rough. Best thing to do if your wheeler is going to sit for extended periods of time is to completely drain the float bowl or runt he gas completely out of the carb.

If you don't believe me google "Sea Foam Ingredients" it is comprised of 3 basic ingredients and can be made at a much cheaper cost.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I used startron exclusively in all my small engines. Good Stuff!.. Now, the local stations are getting non-ethanol high test fuel and I have switched all my small engine stuff to that. Things like a small generator still get the startron though, because it may sit idle for a long time. In that case I drain the fuel and replace it, running the engine for several minutes, occasionally.
Startron was one of the first enzyme type treatments out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it works better than Stabil.

I put some in a tank of an old XR we have. Three years later the bike fired right up, and ran great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
After all the problems I had getting my 500 to run right when I bought it I put in seafoam every tank. When I bought it I was informed it had sat up awhile, and sometimes I go a month or two without running it because I work two full time jobs and just don't have time for it. But with a good dose of seafoam in there I know I don't have to worry about the fuel system gumming up. Plus I only buy Ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hatfield and McCoy trails are awesome. This will be our 8 year going down there. 17 in the group and growing. We make reservations a year in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm planning to make a trip there next year, can't wait! Take some pics for me please!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The only time I use a fuel additive is for winter storage, never had a problem during the regular season, I think this ethanol thing being so bad for your engines is way over blown.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We Use Sea Foam too

After all the problems I had getting my 500 to run right when I bought it I put in seafoam every tank. When I bought it I was informed it had sat up awhile, and sometimes I go a month or two without running it because I work two full time jobs and just don't have time for it. But with a good dose of seafoam in there I know I don't have to worry about the fuel system gumming up. Plus I only buy Ethanol free gas.
Sea Foam is great we found for used stuff we buy to get it all cleaned up from the tank to the pistons. Unless we get in a rush we add 5 oz of Sea Foam per 5 gallon gas container before we leave the house for stability and have one place where we can still get ethanol free but on 87 octane. If we have a dirty fuel problem we mix 2-4 oz per gallon sometimes. I will read up on Startron.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts