Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed oil in reserve, oil filter, and drain engine crank case. Can I just restart w/o engine damage?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea no problem. Did you run it to warm up the oil before the oil change? If so no problem even if you didn't it's not that big of a deal but I would recommend it for next time

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe priming is only necessary if the hose from the oil tank has been disconnected to clean the in tank screen.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Prime only needed if oil screen removed...

Sandman is Correct - X1!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I believe priming is only necessary if the hose from the oil tank has been disconnected to clean the in tank screen.

x2. Although extra priming won't hurt anything. I do it just because it's so much fun :D

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts

x2. Although extra priming won't hurt anything. I do it just because it's so much fun :D

Right now I'm replacing the wheel bearings and that is about as much fun as I can bear at this time :shocked1:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

I do it as it's "cheap insurance" and a "good habit" to do.... only takes a few etra seconds for the piece of mind, knowing your pump is primed.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Right now I'm replacing the wheel bearings and that is about as much fun as I can bear at this time :shocked1:

Ugh. I'm no gear head, fluid changes and clutch kits are about as risqué as I get. I feel for you guys that do real wrenching like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i always put some oil in my oil filter the night before and let it soak in.then i run my vehicle rite before i do oil change

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sandman is Correct - X1!

Think about that a little bit though..... weather you disconnect the line to clean the screen or just simply drain the tank and skip the screen (it's a waste of time anyways).... the oil from the line still drains back into the tank, while your draining the tank. As the fitting is only a screen and not a oneway vavle (to the best of my knowledge)!!! IMHO it's still good practice..... I'd rather "know" my pump / system has oil then to leave it to chance.

But do as you will.... it's yours!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sandman is Correct - X1!

Think about that a little bit though..... weather you disconnect the line to clean the screen or just simply drain the tank and skip the screen (it's a waste of time anyways).... the oil from the line still drains back into the tank, while your draining the tank. As the fitting is only a screen and not a oneway vavle (to the best of my knowledge)!!! IMHO it's still good practice..... I'd rather "know" my pump / system has oil then to leave it to chance.

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt but you'd think the designers/builders of the machine would know the correct procedure: ponder:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt but you'd think the designers/builders of the machine would know the correct procedure :ponder:
Yes, I'm not doubting that..... but my thought of "drain back" via either method still holds some ground. I'd also think the pump would remain primed from the oil stored within @ key off. :dunno: I just think it's good practice to not take short cuts that may become costly, when no added cost is expenced and only an additional minute is wasted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts