Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a 2014 850xp. It has 60 miles 5 hours on the clock. It has been pretty cold here in pa lately. Some times when I go to start the quad after it has sat over night it just clicks. I turn the key let the fuel pump prime than go to start it and just a click coming from starter. My first though was dead battery. So I turned the key off and on a few times and still just click coming from starter. Few more times with key off and on and it started. Let it run a few min tried it again starts fine. Let it sit over night in these single digit temps back to square one with the starter click... I can always get it started but the first few attempts are just a click. Like I said once it does start and I let it run no problems. Any ideas of why and what is causing this? It's brand new. Never in water or anything to freeze starter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok guys I have a 2014 850xp. It has 60 miles 5 hours on the clock. It has been pretty cold here in pa lately. Some times when I go to start the quad after it has sat over night it just clicks. I turn the key let the fuel pump prime than go to start it and just a click coming from starter. My first though was dead battery. So I turned the key off and on a few times and still just click coming from starter. Few more times with key off and on and it started. Let it run a few min tried it again starts fine. Let it sit over night in these single digit temps back to square one with the starter click... I can always get it started but the first few attempts are just a click. Like I said once it does start and I let it run no problems. Any ideas of why and what is causing this? It's brand new. Never in water or anything to freeze starter.
I've been having the same thing happen to me. 2013 850xp bought new in December with 80 miles and 15 hours. I'm also from PA. The one day I put a heat gun on the starter and ever since it starts up just fine. I don't know if there's moisture inside the starters or what but it seems as though Frost is building up preventing them from spinning. Once you do get it going try letting it run for a good hour ride it around or whatever and see if it does it the next day. Maybe it's just this cold PA weather?

·
Registered
455 Posts
My 13 850 does the same. I applied heat to the starter it started

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Getting moisture in starter, there was a thread where someone took starter off and re-sealed it, think they removed outer rubber cover from starter too. Havent had that happen to my 09 but that's what I would look at if I did.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Cold temps drastically reduce the output of the battery..... get a battery tender, as the temp drops and the battery starts to die, it will maintain the propper charge. By charging as needed it keeps the battery warm = no "clicky, clicky" at attempt to start it. Just like your daily driver..... only difference is the size and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of the battery and it's size vs. capacity!! Let your daily driver sit for days/weeks on end and you'll likely experiance the same things.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Its getting condensation in the starter and freezing a bit. I have noticed it to be the worst when you start it up and drive it for a short distance and turn it off and leave it. A battery tender has also almost eliminated my issues with this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cold temps drastically reduce the output of the battery..... get a battery tender, as the temp drops and the battery starts to die, it will maintain the propper charge. By charging as needed it keeps the battery warm = no "clicky, clicky" at attempt to start it. Just like your daily driver..... only difference is the size and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of the battery and it's size vs. capacity!! Let your daily driver sit for days/weeks on end and you'll likely experiance the same things.
I have been using a battery tender with mine. Granted a Half dead battery will show the same symptoms, this I believe is a moisture in the starter issue.

Does anyone know if the starter is a closed system? Able to get moisture in it? Is moisture a result of a bad seal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts