Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 03 Predator from a guy not sure how well it was maintained so I rebuilt the top end and put in a new wiseco piston kit did all the proper torque specs ect. got it all together fine but the starter wont catch all the time (more often is doesn't catch then does) just hear it spinning away when it does catch it really sounds like its struggling (full battery in mind I have also jumped it off my truck) I did get it to pop once and run for a second with the starter when it did catch so me and a buddy had the bright idea we knew it was in time because it didn't send a valve into the piston and all the dots are lined up cams and down in the crank case on the one gear with the gold teeth like shown in other threads and it ran good he rode it back to the shop where he shut it off sorry for the long story just trying to get most the questions I think im going to be asked out of the way now.... so from what I have been reading it may be the starter gear? or the one way clutch? not sure.... if I put in a 12:1 piston do I need a new starter ? and can I take off the stator cover without wasting my freshly used over priced ams oil to check the starter gear or is it on that side at all... it looks like that's where the head of the starter goes in

·
Registered
72 Posts
bendix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite sure what the Bendix is or how it works and certainly not how to check it sorry not familiar with starter parts most my learning is trial and error as most is and I have yet to have problems with a starter in any thing and they didn't cover that when i was in school for it

·
Registered
554 Posts
Take the starter off and clean and lubricate it. The gear slides on a shaft so that it can engage the ring gear and than return to its original position and not grind to dust when the engine starts. Sometimes the shafts will get corroded and the gear does not slide freely up and down the shaft. Or the solenoid that pushes the gear out is corroded, worn, or just plain going bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts