Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I am new to this forum, after reading several similar starter issue threads i did not one problem related to mine.
I got a little issue with my starter that up untill last summer i have never experienced, I bought my bike brand new in '08 and been riding only around the cottage with family since, not too mileage about 3500klms on it, we just do the local trails that are not to quick in terms of speed.
Last summer 2013 i did a overnight ride with some friends in northern Quebec, from Mount Laurier up to Parent and Clova, there are no atv trails up that way so we were riding on forest roads using our gps for guidance. Some of these roads were very fast riding, like i was riding at 55-65mph for up to an hour at times. When i would stop the engine for a break or refueling and restart it through out the day, the starter would give me some trouble engaging gradaully through the day, it would do the clicking sound like it wants to engage then it would but the further into the day we got the hotter the engine got and the more trouble i had with the starter. After a couple of hours it would eventually lead up to not engaging and not starting the bike at all. I would remove all the panels and seats and after 15 minutes of cooling bingo the starter would engage.
Has this ever happened to anyone of you guys and what kind've solution did you come up with. I am getting nowhere with the dealer he says the shaft the gear slides across on can possible expand enough with the heat and prevent the gear sliding across. Another dealer told me to clean the starter and shaft could be dirty, from what i can see the starter is in a closed encasement of the engine, in anycase i have done alot o dirty riding and have never experienced this.
Possible expanding shaft diameter from the extended heat from riding at high speeds for a very long period, whatta think guys.........any thoughts would be helpful. I kind've liked that ride and would like to do another similar this summer but would not like to go through this again.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Remember a starter is just an electric motor. Like any motor the do wear. They do get hot and cold, expand and contract. They do collect all kinds of crud from being used in the environment we ride in. As they wear the also create their own crud in the form of metal shavings, dust and old lubricant or grease.

Rather than getting stranded someplace with a bad starter, have it rebuilt or replace it with a new one and be done with it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember a starter is just an electric motor. Like any motor the do wear. They do get hot and cold, expand and contract. They do collect all kinds of crud from being used in the environment we ride in. As they wear the also create their own crud in the form of metal shavings, dust and old lubricant or grease.

Rather than getting stranded someplace with a bad starter, have it rebuilt or replace it with a new one and be done with it!
Thanks for that StarRider........clean or replace so simple????

·
Registered
900 Posts
In my experience, your symptoms tell me the starter is getting worn out. They usually start struggling to turn when hot, then when they cool, they are ok. That won't last for too much longer though....again....IMO. Be sure your battery is good as that will make your starter seem bad too...
Rebuild it or replace it are your options besides double checking your starter connections and batt condition.... Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts