Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey quick question guys. im working on a relatives 99 sportsman 500, and the starter was froze up so i took it off and broke it loose. this quad sits outside its entire life thats why it was froze. anyway i got it loosened up and working fine, i put it back in and then it wouldnt catch the flywheel it would just spin. o i tok thepull start cover off pulled out the throw out gear, it was also froze up. i broke it loose and got it freed up with some PB blaster. now it works fine but when i put it all back together the starter turns the engine over one full revolution the it disengages and spins free withut the engine starting. im lost at this point unless that throw out gear is bad and disengages at a slower speed than it should. any info you guys got would be helpful. i personally dont own a polaris so i dont know that much about them but i have worked on a few of them.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Both the starter and starter drive probably need to be replaced. DB Electricial is the best place to buy from. They have great products. I have purchased from them before.
The spring in the starter drive(bendix) stretches or breaks and causes this problem. Make sure battery is fully charged because low voltage will cause that issue also.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts