Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried to start my 2009 850 XP around Christmas time and it was cold here in here in Hell (-40ish), the bike wouldn't roll over at all however the starter would engage, just not spin. So I pushed it into the garage and let it thaw out for a day, once it was warmed up it started right up, then I discovered there was oil leaking out of the starter. I plowed my driveway for a few minutes and noticed the oil was leaking faster and faster as I went on.

I took the starter off and took it to the local motor/starter shop, the guy said it was in great shape and couldn't find a problem with it, so I took it home and reinstalled it, and of course it is still leaking oil...

Anyone have any idea's?????

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does your starter still have the black rubber coating on it? Mine was froze up and wouldn't roll over...went to take mine off to dry it out and twisted the head off of the outer bolt.Not impressed to say the least.Not sure where you are getting oil from as the bell housing is a dry area.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your starter still have the black rubber coating on it? Mine was froze up and wouldn't roll over...went to take mine off to dry it out and twisted the head off of the outer bolt.Not impressed to say the least.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2
Ya it DID have the boot on, I tore that off when i tore down the starter, re assmbled now, and it still leaks...

·
Registered
554 Posts
"Ya it DID have the boot on, I tore that off when i tore down the starter, re assmbled now, and it still leaks..."

Leaks what? Starters don't have oil in them, and as stated above, the flywheel area the starter bolts to is also dry. Could the oil be leaking or spraying from somewhere else onto the starter? Perhaps it only looks like the oil is coming from the starter.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
No Oil in the starter or where the bendix goes in. You have an oil leak somewhere else that is leaving a deposit on the starter.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would wipe all oil from area....then start it for a few minutes ..see where oil is coming from....there is no oil in starter or in side case....you have a oil leak in an area close by thats spreading to starter....why i said clean all oil off an run a minute or 2 to see where is is begining..before it hits starter...its close by thats for sure...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Oil in the starter or where the bendix goes in. You have an oil leak somewhere else that is leaving a deposit on the starter.
i would wipe all oil from area....then start it for a few minutes ..see where oil is coming from....there is no oil in starter or in side case....you have a oil leak in an area close by thats spreading to starter....why i said clean all oil off an run a minute or 2 to see where is is begining..before it hits starter...its close by thats for sure...
"Ya it DID have the boot on, I tore that off when i tore down the starter, re assmbled now, and it still leaks..."

Leaks what? Starters don't have oil in them, and as stated above, the flywheel area the starter bolts to is also dry. Could the oil be leaking or spraying from somewhere else onto the starter? Perhaps it only looks like the oil is coming from the starter.
Yes I realize the starter SHOULDNT have oil in them, mine does and its leaking out through a seam. I pulled the starter off and it had oil in it, also, the inside lip which the starter mates to the engine block had oil on it...

The oil is definatly not leaking from anywhere else and ending up on the starter.

Is it possible that the crankshaft seal has failed and is now letting oil into the area of the flywheel, then in turn spraying into the starter?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Absolutely that is possible in fact it is likely the only reason that you have oil in the starter. If this is true then the other end is likely full of oil.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Do you have the rubber o - ring on the starter where it goes into the motor.

And no oil in there is as it should be on those motors.

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just took the starter back out, and I can see oil on the teeth of the flywheel as well as oil/dirt on the housing/block... shouldn't this be dry?
I don't have any experience with the 850 engine, but I've worked on many other engines. I would expect the flywheel housing and starter to be dry. If you have any substantial amount of oil in that area I think the crankshaft seal(s) are leaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts