Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 sp700 starter started acting up (the dreaded "click"), until it finally would not start at all. I pulled the starter and found a light coat of corrosion on all the metal parts. The big problem was one of the contacts had corroded inside it's keeper and wont move, so it wasn't touching the core thing. I cleaned everything up, now to my question,

How to prevent it from corroding again? oil it with wd40, electrical silicon grease, or does it have to go back together dry?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
only thing you may want to lube in a starter is the 2 bushings..the back end one and shaft one...just a drop of 3-1 electrical oil..thats it...dont lube the brushes or carriers...it will cake up...WD-40 is a starters worse enemy...it gums up in time and a dirt magnet...you can cleane the starter with CRC MAP semsor cleaner or electrical cleaner

if you want add some dielectric grease to both caps on the O rings...may help keep some moisture out..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Lube = dirt collection. clean it up, if you have any nicks on the sides of the brushes you can sand them off for smooth motion through the brush holder. Contacts= brushes, Core thing = armature. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts