Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 99 sportsman 500, when i try to start it either the starter won't engage and will just make a grinding noise, or it will engage and start the motor and then will make that same grinding noise for about 4-5 seconds after starting. I have no idea what this could be. I had a friend look at it ( who works at a dealer) and he said that the starter wasn't stopping and that also my ignition switch was screwy as you have to fiddle with it to even get it to start. Any ideas? thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sounds like the starter Bendix to me. These often are problematic over time as water gets in the recoil housing and the parts rust. It's not unusual for the Bendix to stay engaged for a moment after the engine starts, but 4-5 seconds would be WAY too much. You can get complete units from Polaris or even the individual parts, but aftermarket units are available on eBay and from other suppliers. The common manufacturing points are Brazil, Taiwan and (mainland) China and quality varies. I've heard stories about them all, but I've had good luck with the Asian parts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll look into it one i get it back from the dealer.. my electronics weren't working after going though a huge puddle oops :):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts