Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 sportsmaen 800 twin and she dont wanna start. I turn the key and just get a click from the starter relay or solinoid under the seat. Battery is fully charged. it had been doing this off and on but it would always end up starting, those days are apparantly over. how can I tell if its the starter or the relay?????

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd say it's the starter

My bet is on the starter....I just went through this on my 96 Trailblazer....once i took the starter out and tore it apart it was pretty evident it was the starter....but you can test the solenoid by using a simple light tester. the aligator clamp on the negative side of the battery and touch the lead end (pointer) on the starter side of the solenoid and hold it there while you hit the start button. If the solenoid is ok it will light up when you hit the start button....I'm no mechanic but i'm fairly mechanically inclined and I had never rebuilt a starter before but I did my own with some guidance from a buddy and a service manual....and a couple guys on the forum. My iphone camera came in handy as well for taking pictures of the disasembly to aid in the re-assembly....it was cool to do myself. rebuild kits are about 20-25 bucks and it's not all that difficult as long as you have wrenches and some time. I lucked out and my buddy had an old spare starter layin around and the brush assembly(which you'll most likely need) was almost new and compatible and all the other parts in mine i was able to clean up. Total cost was a couple beers with my buddy as we put it back together....
Tricky

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I found this one on youtube. It is a 2000, not a 2005 but, it is pretty representative.

This one shows removing the recoil starter and what to look for as far as any rusty conditions and to make sure the bendix is not rusted stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts