Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is the issue. Just bought a 2004 Sportsman 500 HO a week ago. It started with the key just fine until today. Now all I get is 1 click when i turn the key. Had a brand new relay in the drawer for a 99 Sportsman 500 I used to have and it was the same so I swapped out the old for the new...same thing, turn the key, 1 click from the relay. Being the shade tree mechanic I fancy myself I checked and rechecked all the grounds and made sure every connection was tight and checked the battery. After finding nothing I retried the key...still just 1 click. So I tried to jump the relay and no dice...nothing not even a spark. I am stumped good on this one. I have never not been able to jump a relay before. And ideas sure would be nice guys, I was suppose to go riding this weekend so I would like to figure this out quick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just curious, exactly how did you "check" the Battery? The symptoms sure sound like a dead battery to me; have you tried to jump start it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
on your behalf I really wish it isnt just a dead battery :veryhappy:
but hopefully thats all it will be right?
Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tested the battery with a meter to assure a full charge still just 1 click from the relay. then i tried to jump it using the start feature on my charger and still just one click.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the mounting bracket of the relay is the ground for it....make sure its a good ground...also try to tap the starter...you may have a stuck brush...worth a shot...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
al53....thank you. I completely overlooked the starter and you were right on the money. I tapped it a couple times and hit the key and she fired right up. So again good sir I thank you for saving me a massive headache and now I can go ride this weekend.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
130 Posts
i tried to jump it using the start feature on my charger and still just one click.
Having tried that, next I'd check the starter itself. It could be a loose connection at the starter if you haven't already checked it. To test the starter you can remove the starter and test it with a known good power source. Just an idea; kinda shooting in the dark here. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
your welcome....but now remember you may have a lop sided wearing brush in there...when you get time take it out....clean it..may be just carbon build up from brush wear....or just get new brushes if wearing abnormal....clean commutater with some 800 grit paper...spray with electrical cleaner so no bridges..good to go

1 - 8 of 8 Posts