Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be simple. 01 Sportsman won't start. Relay clicks. Fully charged battery. 13v at battery terminal on relay 12.5v at switch wire. 5.4v at relay terminal to starter.
I replaced the relay. Still won't turn over. Tested the new solenoid and still have 5.4v at the relay terminal to the starter. 3.4 ohms switch wire at relay.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
No bites, eh. I tested the relay again with the starter cable disconnected and got 13v when the switch is energized. I tore the starter down and the only thing I could find was the bars needed to be sanded. The brushes are within limits and all resistance checks are within limits according to the manual. Any sharp electrical people out there that can explain what's happening?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Is the relay mounting bracket the ground for the relay...is it mounted to a nice clean area...also did you bench test the starter while it was out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The relay has a nice clean ground with star washers underneath for a little extra bite. I also checked resistance between the bracket and the frame.
I haven't bench tested it yet as the temp dropped below 0 again. I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think there is a little black plastic pouch toward the front that has a circuit breaker in it that gets corroded. This pouch is along the top frame on mine near the starter relay, not the one under the hood.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think there is a little black plastic pouch toward the front that has a circuit breaker in it that gets corroded. This pouch is along the top frame on mine near the starter relay, not the one under the hood.
yes...I was on another forum and some one posted a pic of that relay when they cut the pouch open...was just a chunk of rust...I am not sure where it is..but when it warms up out I will look at mine...preventive care keeps you riding..not stuck 20 miles from home

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed. The only thing I did to the starter was to sand the commutator bars and clean between them. Starts fine now. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.