Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a polaris 400 Scrambler and it needs a new starter. If anyone has information on how to remove the old starter to put in the new one, that would be great

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!!

Now I haven't done one on this bike, but cannot imagine its too difficult... Pull the seat, Air box. If your worried how to re install, take good pictures as you go. Label wires and hoses as you go. If that's enough room to access good, if not the tank may need to come out too....

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm not sure about 400's, if it is anything like a 250 the starter is on the bottom? It is a real pain... You have to pull the recoil and all the bottom skid plates, and remove all the bolts. And of course be sure that you have your battery diconnected before you do anything. If it is like my 250 the space might be too limited to get at the bolts on the outside of the engine, and it may have to be pulled unfortunately. But like I said I am not familiar with 400's, so let us know where the starter is located and we can try and help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its kinda a pain IMO but pull the skid plate of the bottom unbolt the starter wire pull the recoil housing off and the you should see 2 bolts in the lower left corner where the bend-ex is you may or may not have to remove the flywheel to get to the bolts. I haven't done one in a long while since i just made a block off plate and never looked back. But feel free to PM me with questions

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
starter

It's like Scrammy said remove the recoil cover & there is 2 bolts inside, no need to remove the flywheel. But it also has a bracket on the left end
behind the inner clutch cover. Some people were able to remove the bolts from below and some have had to remove the outer cover, both clutches
and the inner cover to gain access. Look here Browse then search starter motor and see call out #11 for bracket location. When I did mine I pulled up on my loading ramps till the front tires were on the tailgate. Then I was able to get under it easier to reach everything. Used a couple of tie downs to secure it in place. I would try and see if you can get the bracket bolts first before you tear into it too deep. Also, check DB Electrical on flea-bay for a starter its where I bought mine its held up good for the price. Get the starter and bendix kit, can't beat the price. PM me if you have any questions, Buddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Buddy i totally forgot about the bracket. Like i said i removed mine a long time ago, and haven't done it yet on the new one. But i managed to do it by crawling under after removing the skid plate with a 1/4 ratchet and if im correct a 10mm shallow if i remember correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts