Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i need to remove both clutches to replace my starter ? been told one of the clutches 99% of the time will pull tight off because it uses a spline shaft that's the front or the rear clutch. also which clutch is the "primary" clutch front or rear ? i got the clutch cover off today. they had used silicone around the seal was not the easiest to get the cover off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The front is the primary, you will need a pulling tool for this one. The rear is the secondary, and yes it will pull right off. I'm not sure if you have to remove the clutches to change the starter on your model.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help. i was doing wishful thinking i could get ti it with out removing the front clutch. going to see if i can make a puller for the front clutch. looks like i can do it with a bolt and a long rod cut to size. hate to spend $ 30.00 for a tool i don't intend to ever use again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well had to brake down today and order the primary clutch puller $21.95 shipped cheaper that most i seen for sale.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i haven't got that far yet waiting in the front puller now. been told most of the time the rear will pull right off but might need to get a puller or the stubborn few. on this forum they say the rear is the same size thread as a trailer hitch ball. so if you have one it will screw right in but you will need to use a spacer of some sort behind it to push behind it. if mine is stuck on i will try that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well BRUCE we are in the same boat my secondary clutch wont budge ether. got the front one off. bought a puller for the primary clutch darn thing was 1" to long could not start the threads on the puller. so i use a deep socket and a trailer hitch ball. busted a channel lock pliers in half trying to get it off.. my clymer manual says the rear clutch will pull right off ahhh no it wont.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
secondary clutch puller

bit the bullet today just ordered a secondary clutch puller $31.40 shipped. got tired of looking all over for info running around looking for the right size bolt with no luck for over 3 weeks. screw it, now i have it if i ever need one again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clutch reinstall problem spinning

Yea the starter is in and it works. My 92 trail boss 250 4x4. Now I'm having a problem installing the clutch pulley. When I try to tighten the bolt it just spins. I don't know what to to. Also my power switch won't move to start or anyting. This is getting near the end I hope. Thanks guys, Bruce

·
Registered
1 Posts
To those who got the puller, do you think this is something I could "loan a tool" from autozone or something? The back pulley came off smooth.

I'm trying to replace the starter and I am one stinking screw away from it coming out but the clearance between the starter and belt/clutch housing is too small. So there really is no other way to get the starter off a 2007 sportsmen 450 without taking off the drive pulley?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will have to get a pulley tool. A impact wrench is essential for this. An ATV shop should let you use one. Good Luck I got mine together and tested the engine and I screwed up something in the carb. I think when I had it on its side the floats moved. Going to take the carb apart today and see if I can fix it. This whole thing is quite the job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts