Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a '05 500 Sportsman, and since the temps have started cooling off, the electric starter won't work. It sounds like it spins freely, but doesn't engage the flywheel. I can pull start it, and once it's warmed up, the starter will work. I'm at a loss. I thought maybe the battery was too weak to spin the starter fast enough, but even at 12.5V it won't work. Is it the bendix giving me issues? or does the starter itself need work? I need to know a little bit about what needs to happen before I'm willing to tear things apart. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
sounds like you have grease on the bendix..when cold it gets hard so starter drive wont expand ...take pull start cover off....clean up the bendix..use a light oil like 3n1 on it..not much...but clean it good before...then on the pull start cover add a little silicone grease in the bushing for the starter shaft....just make sure you clean the starter gear an shaft GOOD,....then button it up....either use a new gasket or use RTV form a gasket..but make sure you get good coverage so its water tight....

Oh..forgot..when you have cover off....good time to oil recoil starter also....I use multi use spray lube with teflon...but any will work...use the nozzle to get into place..use just a little....dont take it apart or you will have spring jump out...loll...a mess

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and welcome! Sounds like what I was suspecting. Anything in particular good for cleaning the grease off? I've got a can of brake parts cleaner on hand.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcome! Sounds like what I was suspecting. Anything in particular good for cleaning the grease off? I've got a can of brake parts cleaner on hand.
Perfect. I use WD-40 as it is a solvent but also has a bit of lubricant in it that cant hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. Hopefully this works, getting sick of pulling on that rope in the cold when I need to plow snow.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
use brake cleaner or carb cleaner...dont use wd 40..it gums up...use 3n1 oil when clean...make sure you clean bushing also on cover an add a little silicone grease on it...if none use lithium grease....just a dab

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had the same problem last week. Water had gotten into casing and froze things up. The bendix actually has a spring that retracts it after you start the engine.(that falls apart with wear and tear) check to make sure it works when its all apart. I had to replace mine 60.00, just slides in and out. I'm also experiencing charging issues which I believe the springs that fall apart out of be bendix went into my stator just below- causing more charge, power problems. Just warning you cause it's frustrating getting everything backtogether and experiencing more problems.

·
11,275 Posts
Get you a new bendix from DB Electrical or ebay for about $20 and move on to something else. You can sometimes doctor them up but it won't be long till it acts up again.
***NOTE*** don't lose the thrust washer(s) that often stick to the case when you take it apart.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i put a DB Eletrical and still does it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about it and decided to just go with polman500's advice. I'd rather drop $30 now and forget about it than have the damn thing quit on me while I'm on the trail or something. I'll post when the part gets here and gets put in for anyone who's interested.

EDIT: Wait what? I read the above right after I placed an order from them... is the new one going to do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if the spring is good....and not rusted up..its most likely dirty bendix or shaft....85% 0f the ones i have done on outboards was just grime or they sprayed wd 40 on them an gummed up....I have cleaned the ones on my suzuki an polaris also...you get tiny metal bits from engagement some times that prohibit it from traveling to to flywheel..a cleaning solves it...just as long as bendix is in good shape....my suzuki LT250 4x4 is a 1987...bought new and original bendix..just cleaned it periodticly....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Right now I'm on my second DB Electrical, the spring gets weak and the cams wear out maybe you will have better luck. I just can't get myself to buy a pure Polaris for over 200$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts