Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Magnum325 4X4 that right now the starter is staying engaged. Before it got to this point, it would hang a few revolutions after the engine is started and then disengage. Now you can just turn the key switch and the starter spins. I do know (I am a member on various other ATV and UTV forums) that it could be the bendix, but wondering if the handlebar switch could be at fault too. There is almost no upward movement on the switch. Just wondering if there is something I can check before thinking about tackling changing the bendix.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Yours ,is just a bit different than just a automotive style bendix. It may be best to remove your starter drive assembly , take apart and clean and lube. That may be all that is needed ,unless the spring or one of the gears is faulty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yours ,is just a bit different than just a automotive style bendix. It may be best to remove your starter drive assembly , take apart and clean and lube. That may be all that is needed ,unless the spring or one of the gears is faulty.
May just go ahead and do it. Guess all you do is pull the side cover and slip it out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a sportsman, but it may be the same, but I took off the recoil housing and the starter bendix was right there. Just pull it out. Mine was locked up, so I cleaned it, lubed it and reinstalled.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Another thought may be to make sure the battery is fully charged..... sometimes a bendix won't engage if it isn't spinning at the full rpm's it's supose to. But likely your bendix needs a clean and relube, as others stated.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thought may be to make sure the battery is fully charged..... sometimes a bendix won't engage if it isn't spinning at the full rpm's it's supose to. But likely your bendix needs a clean and relube, as others stated.

Good Luck.
Has a brand new battery, but that is a good idea also. Probably going to attempt to take off the cover tomorrow and go from there. Just hope I didn't damage the flywheel trying to drive it back into the shed with the starter still engaged. Didn't have anyone to help push it up the ramp into the building. LOL I got this ATV on a trade back in the summer. The previous owner only used it to deer hunt and sat under a open pole barn the rest. It's in great shape, doesn't use oil, and I had all the fluids replaced and new thermistor replaced. Thank you to all the comments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and took the bendix out. Wasn't a hard job at all, just a lot of bolts. After taking it out, it was in perfect shape and real free. So I reach up and turned the key and the starter was still spinning without the drive. I went and found a hole in the kill/start assembly and sprayed some CRC Contact Cleaner in the switch (it's some very good stuff to use). Now it works great. Buttoned everything back together and works as it should. I'm afraid I'll have to end up replacing the whole left side switch assembly if it's still available. Thanks for all the suggestions and hope I can return the favor in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts