Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a problem with my quad not starting all it would do is click when trying to get it going, and it came down to being the starter after hitting on it with a hammer while turning the key and it started. So I took out the whole starter, and I don't know what I should do now or change out. Any advice would help because I'd rather not take it somewhere and pay someone when I could do it myself.

Thanks
Dan

*2011 Sportsman 500HO

·
Registered
251 Posts
i imagine you can buy a rebuild kit for them if your confident you can do the work your self, otherwise I would look at taking it to someone that rebuilds electric motors/starters. it was probably way cheaper to have it rebuilt than buy a new one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
PM sent to DrD;
Caltric for parts good prices good people to deal with

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow I just did this today. I can tell you they are VERY easy to rebuild. Just pull the two screws and the caps come off. Keep track of them shims when you pull the caps. Turns out my problem was the battery so I just cleaned it out with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air and mounted the armature in a drill press and hit that with sand paper. I bead blasted the cases relube the bearing and assembled.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Yes, there really isn't anything hard about rebuilding those starters, the dealerships might say so but anyone willing to get there fingers dirty can do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts