Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I bought this 2000 Magnum 500 that won't start. Was ridden in water, and everything rotating was stuck. I've cleaned everything up, and crankshaft rotates, no water in cc. Replaced the starter solenoid, battery, starter bendix, and it still won't turn over (with the electric starter). The starter motor spins, but will not engage the bendix. Can't figure it out......

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Are the teeth messed up on the starter?, You put a new bendix on it? if so it about has to be the starter, were thereany spacers behind the bendix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!
Starter teeth appear fine. I wire brushed all the surface rust off them, and none appear damaged. Yep, new bendix from db. New bendix came with a new washer between it and the engine case.
The starter seems to be rotating fast enough, and the bendix (being new) is free and extending properly. One thing I was wondering; I disassembled the starter to free up the rusty brush holders, and clean things up. I reassembled it and it works; BUT is there any way that the starter could be rotating the wrong direction? Causing the bendix to rotate away from the engagement splines, thereby not extending to engage the flywheel????

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have heard of that if you take the starter apart and put the outer shell on backwards flipping it from front to back your starter will turn backwards. I have not ran into this problem myself but I would look carefully at the starter and how you put it togeather

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep! Got her fixed. That was exactly the problem; when I reassembled the starter, I got the case on upside down. The starter was turning BACKWARDS! When I reversed it, everything worked as it should. Thanks for the reply. Good call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts