1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,142 Posts

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
The clutches, inner belt cover and the recoil cover all have to be removed - when you do it install a new Bendix just to save time later

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
The clutches, inner belt cover and the recoil cover all have to be removed - when you do it install a new Bendix just to save time later
yep

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
Do you have a magic wand?

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Is there any other reason besides the starter that a battery is used for on CDI system with a recoil starter? Dirty
Illuminates the headlight, tail light, neutral and reverse lights - without a battery the lights will burn out - the battery acts as a buffer for voltage spikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeps the voltage at or above 12vdc. I get roughly 2.6 at idle off the - and +, without battery in circuit. To run it only needs the CDI system. I like that. never own one,guess the stat-or is the weak link. Dirty

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
Keeps the voltage at or above 12vdc. I get roughly 2.6 at idle off the - and +, without battery in circuit. To run it only needs the CDI system. I like that. never own one,guess the stat-or is the weak link. Dirty
Is that a typo?? You listed it as 2.6 volts??

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
You have no battery so the reading is meaningless for the most part - what's the voltage at 4000 RPM? What reading do you get if you switch to the AC scale?

Now if you are not concerned with installing a battery and keeping it charged, then as long as the lights work without burning out at higher RPM and you are content to pull start it, then so be it. If you decide you want to install a battery and have things work as designed and have the lights brighter than a night light, then we can guide you as to what is needed to repair the system.

·
Premium Member
10,142 Posts
I beleive that is a AC meter only?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes its on the DC scale. When the battery is is it will read around 12.9 to 13.1 at idle for a few minutes then drop to 12.5 for a while then back to 12.9. Is This is the stator charging the battery through the CDI system? Thanks Larebird and FPD218. The manual you sent went to spam (latebird)? probably my comp. I'm ole school, so if its there and can be used ill fix it if its broke. I like the idea that i have two sources to start the machine. Seems straight forward from what i see on these videos. Just a lot of disassembly is all. I got plenty of air tools. Thanks Dirty

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
The stator does not produce a charge until the engine RPM is over 2400 to 3000 RPM - up to that point the DC accessories are just discharging the battery - over 2400 to 3000 RPM, the charging system is supplying enough current to power the accessories and charge the battery - when it was designed, running the lights and other accessories was the exception.

At idle with the lights on, the battery voltage should drop steadily - with the lights off, a slow drop and occasional rise is normal, but after extended idling the battery will be lower than prior to starting. With the lights off and running about 2500 RPM the battery voltage should rise steadily (charging), but should never exceed 14.8 volts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts