Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried to crank my 05 400 sportsman and just a little buzzing noise. pulled the pull start and it cranked. rode it around for like 15min cause i did think it was battery but it would jump off so i was guessing starter. after riding i shut it off and it cranked right back up so not sure what it is. any thoughts would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sounds like the starter was froze. It happens, especially with almost 10 years on your machine. I went through this on my '04 a few months back.

I pulled the starter and tried jumper cables straight to the starter. I could hear it drawing power but couldn't get it move more than 1/4 turn by whamming it with a hammer. Pulled the starter apart and it looked like a toxic waste site.

New Starter from D&B Electric on ebay and I was back in business in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not sure if your 400 is at all like my 700's. In mine it was quite easy. 2 Nuts to hold the wires on. 2 Bolts that held the starter to the top of the engine case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i read somewhere that u had to pull both clutches. does that sound right? the starter is i guess on bottom of motor, is that where they r on the 700's? thanks for ur help

·
8,732 Posts
Its right on top of the motor behind the cylinder. You can get the bolts out without removing the clutches and covers but it is tight.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
On my 700's, the starter is on top of the motor. If you approach from the left hand side of the machine, you can just get a wrench over the forward-most bolt after removing the wires. There isn't much room to turn the bolt but it can be done. Then there isn't much room to pull the bolt out of the engine block as it hits the starter itself. But with some elbow grease and colorful language it is possible.
If there are small children around. Turn up the stereo to protect them from the colorful language.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good to know - my starter bendix is shot and I need to replace that as well as rehab the recoil housing and such. The previous owner had water in there - though shame on me I didn't do a complete PM when I bought it. I had a nice ride, empty pockets and wanted to roll. So today I have a pull start. I would much prefer turning the key. This is going to be my winter project in March, if all goes well.

Easier to maintain than to fix!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
to change and rebuild a starter is a very simple thing. On a scale of putting air in your tires to rebuilding your motor its just past putting the pressure guage on the valve stem.

Take out the starter, open starter, pull off brush assembly, check bearings, clean everything put back together. Bench test before reassembly.

Thats it, and yes it really is that easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The hardest part is getting the starter out. I have an 04 500 ho and I thought the starter went out. I took it out and apart. And cleaned it. Other than that it was fine. Put it back and nothing. I took it to a local shop here in town to see what they thought. It was the Bendix. Ordered one on DB electrical for $27. Within 3 days from ordering I was back in business. Hope it helps.

Sent from the bottom of the pit.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
when you have the starter out its always a good idea to check the bendix. You will be able to tell how smoothly it works by turning it in your hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On mine the teeth that hit the fly wheel on my Bendix the teeth were a little round down..

Sent from the bottom of the pit.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Its the starter drive gear. You push the button and the starter whirs a gear that is stationary. This gear spins the bendix and the centrifugal force of the spinning forces the outter edge of the bendix with anther gear on it out on a spiral out to engage on the flywheel that turns over the motor. Once the motor starts the speed of the motor is faster than the starter was and the springs in the bendix pull it back in until the next time you need to start it.

If the starter was directly connected to the motor it would disintegrate the starter motor almost immediately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts