Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out this weekend for an atv trip and need to get my sportsman up and running. Is a 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500. The battery has plenty of life and the starter kicks in trying to start. The atv doesn't turn over or even attempt to start, it just wines and then stops when I let my thumb of the starter. I feel like it is an issue with the spark plug but can't seem to locate one. I am use to Honda, which are very easy to work on. Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You are saying the engine won't turn over? If so you can't have spark at a plug. If engine is locked up it can't turn. If starter drive is not engaging it won't turn over.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If the starter is trying but not engaging (you may hear a grinding sound) could be the bendix needs lube or replacing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can here the starter clicking and spinning but nothing is firing on the engine. I pulled the spark plug and will replace it tom. Would this have anything to do with the spark plug or am I in much furthur. Haven't had any problems for the past 8 months ive owned it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Starter isn't turning engine over, spark plug has nothing to do with the issue here. Try giving the starter a tap or 2 with a hammer, if it then engages the engine it probably needs lubing or replacing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I Will try one more time. Is just the starter spinning? Or is it engaging and in fact the engine is or is not turning over.Yes or No ?s.

·
Registered
173 Posts
3 things happen when you push the start button...the starter engages a bendix which engages the flywheel and turns your engine over.

It is difficult to say what is happening without hearing it...have your got anyway to video (with sound) what is happening?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
easy check for this is to pull the plug and put your finger over the hole. If you feel its pushing air out then insert the plug in the boot and ground the electrode to the motor and see if you see any spark. If you don't fell air coming out the spark plug hole then you have a starter motor/bendix or solenoid issue.

Motors need three things. Air, gas and spark. Air is free and unless you are in a vacuum its there, so you are down to the other two.

However, I would think that you have an issue with the starter motor not engaging the fly wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i replaced the spark plug today. I dont think that had anything to do with it. I took off the side plastic where the shifter is and pulled on the aux. start cord. It fired up and ran for a great. I shut it off after about five minutes and tried to start it up again with the electric start, Nothing?? Then I pull started it again, drove it around the yard to see if it would charge up the quad somehow. Let it run for approximately 15 minutes and hit the kill switch. Turned the ignition back on and hit the electric starter, and it worked!!!!! Did that a few times, shutting down and electric starting back up and it worked fine. Before this, I hadn't started the quad in about three weeks. Anyone know why this would have happened??? What I can do to prevent this in the future?? Either way, it now has a new Spark Plug. Thanks for the input in advance.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
So i replaced the spark plug today. I dont think that had anything to do with it. I took off the side plastic where the shifter is and pulled on the aux. start cord. It fired up and ran for a great. I shut it off after about five minutes and tried to start it up again with the electric start, Nothing?? Then I pull started it again, drove it around the yard to see if it would charge up the quad somehow. Let it run for approximately 15 minutes and hit the kill switch. Turned the ignition back on and hit the electric starter, and it worked!!!!! Did that a few times, shutting down and electric starting back up and it worked fine. Before this, I hadn't started the quad in about three weeks. Anyone know why this would have happened??? What I can do to prevent this in the future?? Either way, it now has a new Spark Plug. Thanks for the input in advance.
It sounds like your battery was low enough to not completely engage the starter. After running the engine for a while you built enough current back in the battery and it had enough juice to start the motor. Remedies, battery tender to always keep the battery at full charge. Riding the atv more often to keep the battery charged, or a new battery and both of the other remedies. Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same issue once. It was the kill switch in the off position. Felt like a dork. But a happy dork that's all it was.:top:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts