Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our daughter a phoenix new in 05 and it has been ridden 6 times. It just sat 3 years and took it to a guy who put in a new battery drained old gas and got it running. I have been starting it every 3 or so days the last 2 weeks and all good. Now tonight I started it and it idled 15 seconds and died. I pulled plug and it was getting gas. Left and came back an hour later and pulled plug and put plug up to frame and exhaust and seems to not be getting spark. We have had problems all along with this quad running properly. I will get a new plug tommrow as I read here which is a different part number. I am fed up with this dang thing!!!!!!!!! Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
try a new plug and see, but possibly if it sat that long and the gas was just drained and the carb was not pulled apart and cleaned, it may not be getting the proper fuel flow, running way too lean...i wouldnt suspect the magnet is bad just yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to pick up a new plug today and try it. I dont think the guy who worked on it messed with the carb and after sitting that may be it. Thanks and I will post when new plug is in.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wow! You had a quad sit for three years! If you didn't treat the fuel system prior to storage then you most likely have varnish in your fuel system from that old gas sitting in there.

You need to pull the carb and get it cleaned really well. Check your fuel lines for gunk and replace if needed and flush that fuel tank.

After all that change the engine oil of you haven't already done so and get her fired back up.

If your going to let her sit for a while longer after you get her running solidly make sure you treat the fuel and you will not have any starting issues the next go around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts