Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 500cc has little starting problems what just came.. Dont give spark on when pushing the start button but if i tab it fast it gives spark on starting. Is the button just corroted or what

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
The starter button is not connected to the ignition system - they are completely different systems - the ignition system is AC and the starting system is DC - don't know what to tell you, it will require hands on by a qualified mechanic to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The starter button is not connected to the ignition system - they are completely different systems - the ignition system is AC and the starting system is DC - don't know what to tell you, it will require hands on by a qualified mechanic to diagnose the problem.
Okay. Give some info or hint what to check. We gave 12v straight to startermotor and no spark. Starter solenoid needs propably little fixing too

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
The starter motor has nothing to do with spark - applying 12v to the starter motor only cranks the engine. If pressing the starter button closes the solenoid and the engine cranks, then that is all fine, nothing else is needed.

To troubleshoot a spark issue, you will need a peak voltage meter - without a peak voltage meter all you can do is check continuity and eliminate the kill circuit as a potential problem. Unplug the black wire form the CDI box to disable all the kill circuits - if the spark is good with the kill wire disconnected, connect a continuity tester to the black wire of the wiring harness and a good ground - find where the black wire is connected (through a switch or short) to ground.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No killswitches on this thing. Starter runs but no spark. When i release finger from the startbutton it gives spark. Took that cdi units black wire off from ground connector. No spark on anytime but when its connected, it gives little spark when i release startbutton..

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
OK - you need to get out the peak voltage tester to determine if the problem is the stator, CDI unit or the coil.

Using the schematic below and check for these peak voltages:
Trigger coil wht and wht/red = 3 to 5 volts peak minimum
Charge coil blk/red to red = about 45 volts peak
CDI unit to coil wht/blu = about 100 volts peak

If any of these voltages are less than specified, replace the faulty unit - generally the stator will be at fault, but as you investigate, you might find the flywheel key sheared or the magnets came loose from the inside of the flywheel. Keep me posted.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Schematic

·
13,332 Posts
No killswitches on this thing. Starter runs but no spark. When i release finger from the startbutton it gives spark. Took that cdi units black wire off from ground connector. No spark on anytime but when its connected, it gives little spark when i release startbutton..
So you're saying it don't have a red kill switch on the left handlebar?
Automotive lighting Cable Electronic component Electrical wiring Wire

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
Trigger coil voltage is low and the loose magnets don't help the situation - a new flywheel may be the fix, but it may need a new stator also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts