Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Polaris magnum 425 2wd it sat for a few years unran, I replaced the sprocket on it and put a 11 tooth sprocket in its place,and I figured since it sat for so long I should clean the carb,and since I did it hasent ran, right after I cleaned it,it would pop off and run wide open until I shut it off, so I tried adjust it and it made no difference, so I took it back apart again and and now it just wont start,im getting gas to the bowl on the carb,and im getting plenty of spark,but im not getting gas to the intake,when I take the bowl off I can blow through the main jet and the is nothing blocking the passage,every jet is clear enough for me to easaliy blow through,at this point I feel as though im beating my head against a brick wall....... any suggestions????

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Did you remove the pilot jet and clean it? its a small jet down in the hole in the center of the carb, need a small screwdriver to remove it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
yes I did, I can blow through all the jets and none of them have any kind restriction through them
Since it sat so long, I would check the carb boot and make sure they aren't dry rotted and leaking air, On a two stroke if air gets in it can make the engine race!
Also make sure your throttle cable isn't pinched either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the throttle isn't hooked up, and I have checked the boot and it doesn't seem to be cracked anywhere,is there a carb off something else I can test on it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
the throttle isn't hooked up, and I have checked the boot and it doesn't seem to be cracked anywhere,is there a carb off something else I can test on it?
I'm not sure off the top of my head what size they are. Check Ebay you may be able to find one cheap enough but I don't know if I would go buying a new carb all together.

Try hooking the throttle back up and just make sure the cable is adjusted correctly and the slide moves up and down freely. If the slide is hung up that will cause it to race as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts