Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Looks good to me. The #'s might be higher then the book calls for but they're consistent. Plus there a +/-15% variance couple that with the accuracy of your meter. Like I said looks good to me. For shits and giggles test the 3 stator wires to ground and do the voltage test. This way you can be absolutely sure.

Why are you testing the stator??

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So recently Rick(RicksMotorSport Electrics) and I swapped in a new VR they just released for 450/570. This bike the 450 had the VR cook earlier. While installing we noticed stator plug had melted a bit, so Rick put a new plug on. Everything seems fine but I just wanted to test stator. So yeah +/- for .2 ohms is .17-.23 +/-. I got .4. That does not account for multimeter leads and or cheap meter, so I guess that’s why I’m getting .4 ohms. Had never done this test and just wanted confirmation I did correctly. And I did check stator to ground all was good. Given that bp, should I bother with a dynamic test?

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Yeah definitely. Seeing that there was some plug melting it's possible that voltage is higher then it should be coming from the stator. So yeah do it just to be sure. There is a good amount of play thiughthough +/-25%. My money is on its all good but seeing you already had some issues go ahead and verify its all good in the neighborhood!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The plug usually melts due more to a poor connection between the terminals than anything else - fill the connector with dielectric grease to exclude water and oxygen to promote an electrically solid connection and reduce the probability of the connectors corroding and causing a 'hot' connection. But, a failing reg/rec can cause a high current draw lead to melting. Keep in mind, the higher the AC voltage the lower the amperage on the wires - the lower the amperage the lower the wattage (heat).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I did dynamic test and looked good. So for the hell of it while there I also did static test on the other bike. Got .0 on all three. WTF-so I went back to first bike and now getting.0 on that one too(earlier getting .4). So I started to think maybe multimeter was junk, it was one of those freebies at Harbor Freight. Went and bought another @ Advanced Auto Parts. “Seems” much better quality. Re-tested both and both still .0 ohms. Stator to ground still good on both. Question-Is .0 still good.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
sounds like the meter isn't reading properly. are you on the right setting? sometimes these meters have different settings for the particular range you are testing in.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
ok so for ohms there is only the one setting on that meter. what bothers me is the "M" in front of the ohm symbol. that stands for mega ohms which is a million. so its like the meter is reading wrong in auto mode.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
ok so I looked at some of my meters. they either had different settings or were auto. the auto one had a button to scroll through the ranges in the ohms setting. so again it looks like the meter is in the wrong ohms range so maybe there is a button or another way to scroll to a lower range. check the manual.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
idk got me scratching my head. only thing I can think off the top of my head is if tomorrow when you re-test and if you get 0 ohms swap the leads. idk maybe its a directional deal. shouldn't be but that's all I got at this point.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry bp. I do appreciate your help. BTW I did try swapping leads with same result. Maybe it’s the Nor’Easter moving in with too much electricity in the air!!!

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
huh very strange!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Retested again today and got same results as yesterday- .0 ohms on stator doing static test. I guess I’ll never know why I got .4 yesterday and then 1/2 later getting .0 ohms. Spoke with Rick at RMSE and he said that reading is fine as long as Stator leg to ground is OL and dynamic test is correct. Both bikes good! Thanks again bp.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The plug usually melts due more to a poor connection between the terminals than anything else - fill the connector with dielectric grease to exclude water and oxygen to promote an electrically solid connection and reduce the probability of the connectors corroding and causing a 'hot' connection. But, a failing reg/rec can cause a high current draw lead to melting. Keep in mind, the higher the AC voltage the lower the amperage on the wires - the lower the amperage the lower the wattage (heat).
Latebird when you say “fill” the plug with dielectric grease how much do you actually mean? I thought just a film inside without grease on terminals was correct.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Ok good to know and good news!! When I put die-electric grease in a connector I put a pencil eraser sized glob on each terminal or two terminals. That way when you connect the two all is coated well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bp please watch this cause this says grease on terminals is exactly opposite of what your saying.
https://youtu.be/yuKAmaIkA-U
Just looked into this a little more and it’s a bit of an online sh*t storm. Your probably right in your application of grease, seems as though more were more inline with you. The thing is, I had applied it the way you described,but had come across that video and it got me wondering. Back to globs of grease I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts