Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me.. 2011 Sportsman 500 HO - Battery wasn't getting charged and there was no RPM reading. So I figured it to be the Stator. I took the recoil housing cover off and immediately notice three yellow wires that appear to be cut off??? See picture. This is my first time working on a Sportsman. Should there be these 3 yellow wires not connected to anything??? What are these wires too? I haven't got the flywheel off yet so I cant really see behind it yet. Perhaps this is why I don't have a RPM reading and no battery charge?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I would suspect, but it runs just fine...? Other than the battery not getting charged and no RPM reading.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Those are the power output wires from the stator. They should be connected to the stator and generate the AC power output to the voltage regulator/rectifier, then out to the machine to power things and charge the battery. You MAY be able to just splice them back together and make sure they don't get snagged on anything rotating in there and get broken again. The other wires from the stator are for the ignition system trigger, which is why it still runs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I assumed that's what they were, but again never worked on one. Now I know. Unfortunately I already ordered a new stator a few weeks ago and I am waiting for it to show up.

Thanks for the Help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah its not hard i just did one in a 800 took me about 2 hours bc im snorkeled and have the rad up top i bought mine off of amazon 90$ free shipping everyone else was 150 to 250

1 - 7 of 7 Posts