Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the cooling fan and topped off my radiator with coolant on my Sportsman 400. I let it run for about 20 min. to see if the new fan was going to work. Almost the whole time, there was steam coming from the top of the radiatior around where the cap is located. Is this normal? Didn't overheat, and fan worked like it should, but just never saw anything like that before.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably, but I don't think thats it. It starts doing it even before it starts to get real hot. All hoses seem to be hooked up and nothing is leaking?? Bad cap maybe??

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
my radiator cap just failed recently and I had a similar problem to when you're experiencing, but worse. The cap would no longer hold the 13 PSI and would start releasing steam before the system would have enough pressure to circulate correctly. Engine would overheat before fan even came on because the hot coolant wouldn't even reach the thermostat. Replaced the cap and refilled system from the radiator cap. Works fine now. Either that or the system was airlocked. Got a new cap from carquest for around $8.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at it again, I still cant tell if its the cap. The edges of the hoses are a bit damp, so wondering if they are not quite seating properly. Eithier way, its not overheating anymore since I reaplaced the fan, so until otherwise, I guess i'll just ride it, but keep an eye on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts