Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says what do I go with. I currently have ITP Delta Steel wheels wrapped with STI Mudtrax XL tires. I know the tires are considerably heavier than the 489s that came stock. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the steel wheels with aluminum ones. I will just do a wheel swap as the tires even with 1100 miles on them still look new. I mostly ride Michigan which is mostly sand, hard pack, and some mud in spring and fall. Next to no rocks except maybe UP. I don't do rock crawling or anything like that. Anyway I am thinking of dressing the atv up a little and also cutting down some of the unsprung weight. I already have a clutch kit so that is out of the way.

I know the Deltas are very strong but I also know that ITP and STI offer lifetime warranties on the aluminums.

Would a machined aluminum wheel be lighter than the Deltas and would it be noticable at all?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
772 Posts
Don't have your answer but I wondered how many might know what you are talking about when you say UP! Lol, from a fellow Michigander

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point I am a member of an atv riding club in michigan and just take for granted that everyone knows what UP is

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Pick me.... pick me, I know! The UP = "Upper Peninsula" of MI.

Kinda like the "Arrow Head Region" of MN.

I'd keep rolling the Delta's unless (as you say) you want to drop the coin to dress up your rig a bit. As for weight.... I'd think your allow wheel may be the same if not a little heavier then a steel wheel is. I'd think most of the wheel sites would list the weight..... I thought I saw it on Dennis Kirk once, but it could have been another site too.

I keep toying with the idea of finding a set of the black/machined "Polaris Crushers"...... but don't want to drop $500 on a set of used rims and worn out tires!! :D

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm going to say that if you already have a clutch kit in, the couple of pounds you save per wheel is not going to be mind blowing in terms of feel. If you were still using stock clutching, it may have a greater impact.

But, they will look a whole lot better!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
In my experience, composition of the metal (steel vs aluminum) is not as important as how the wheels are shaped.

The stock steel wheels that came with my ATV had a lip of metal that forms the top of the bead. That lip of metal quickly gets beat to hell, looks bad, and is weak, so some rock hits can result in breaking the bead seal and resulting in a flat that is very difficult to repair on the trail. I once spend about 20 minutes beating on my wheel with a large rock after removing it from the ATV in order to make the bead seal again.

An aluminum wheel that is shaped the same way will have the same problem - perhaps worse because aluminum is prone to cracking/splitting, vs. steel which will bend a LOT before cracking.

I go with aluminum wheels that have a very stiff bead area that looks similar to the bead locks you see on rock crawler trucks. Those take a serious beating and I have not lost a bead seal. They get roughed up, but they don't bend.

I'll attach 4 photos. 1 steel wheel all bent to hell, 2 aluminum wheels that we've had in service 4 times as long as that steel wheel, and then a bent aluminum wheel that is the same shape as the steel wheel.

It is also worth noting that tires with stiff sidewalls (such as the Maxxis BigHorn) will help a lot with keeping your bead seal intact and keeping your wheels looking nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the photos Scoundrel. I agree that the tire make-up as far as sidewall strength makes a huge difference in protecting the wheel. Creekman I am inclined to believe what you are saying. There is no doubt in my mind that Delta steel wheel is strong. It also looked to be thinker and more heavy duty than the stock steel wheel. I am probably just more so trying to convince myself that I "need" aluminum wheels and I am trying to justify it by thinking that reducing the unsprung weight will make the atv handle better and be more responsive.

Now I just have to figure out what wheels I want. I am leaning real heavy towards the STI wheels. I also need to figure out if I want all black or a mixture of black and machined or something with some real bling. I stuck with all black before because I thought I would be using the atv for actual hunting but I rarely ride the atv out to the woods unless I have already shot a deer and am going to pick it up. I guess a dead deer probably doesn't care about something shiny on the wheels.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good point I am a member of an atv riding club in michigan and just take for granted that everyone knows what UP is
Do they call them / you yoopers or something like that?...bad spelling probably
Known a few Michiganders.....and I think they used the term or something close to that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah we have been called anything from Yoopers to Militiaganders. Apparently there are a lot of firearms in Michigan:veryhappy:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The HD1s are cool. They really remind me of like a lifted truck wheel. I just wonder if they are as light as the HD2s, 3s, 4s, and C7s

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a little research and after calling Rocky Mountain ATV I got some weights of wheels to compare. The Delta steels are 14 lbs, the STI HD1 is 9 lbs, the HD2 is 13 lbs, the HD3 is 11 lbs. I really like the retro look of the HD1 in machined

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking for info on the center caps of new alloy wheels. Has anyone had problems with the center caps fitting on the wheels with the way the goofy hub sticks out on the value line of sportsmans.

By looking at the wheel and tire sticky thread it looked like everyone with the value line was able to use the center caps.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ive been looking at the STI HD1 rims for my next purchase
I am in the middle of purchasing new tires an wheels....the wheels I have decided on are the STI HD 1 and HD2...I like the machine finished HD1 wheels...sorta have the look of the wheels back in the day on hot rods....but problem i have is finding them in the bolt pattern of 4/156..you can find them for retail in that pattern..but any of the sites selling them in a wheel/tire package dont have them...so thats why I have the HD2 as a second pick...I am going to get the Kenda BearClaws HTR on them wheels..

·
Registered
373 Posts
ive been looking at the STI HD1 rims for my next purchase
I am in the middle of purchasing new tires an wheels....the wheels I have decided on are the STI HD 1 and HD2...I like the machine finished HD1 wheels...sorta have the look of the wheels back in the day on hot rods....but problem i have is finding them in the bolt pattern of 4/156..you can find them for retail in that pattern..but any of the sites selling them in a wheel/tire package dont have them...so thats why I have the HD2 as a second pick...I am going to get the Kenda BearClaws HTR on them wheels..
Look on Ebay, thats where i just purchased mine, Got a decent deal on them & i also found my 27" mega mayhems on there.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I found a place with the wheels...HD1's on sale....just waiting for them to get me the HD1 machined..if not in a few days i will get the HD2se...i will get a tire wheel combo..free shipping that way....I called an talked to them....best price on the wheels...\

STI ATV Wheels, HD2, HD3, HD4, Beadlock, Matte, Black, Chrome Wheels

but still checking some other places....lots of deals going on now

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yes i seen them also...good deal...i called them ..they just did not have the tires I wanted on hand...I want to whole deal to come as one item...mounted..lol....but they have good prices on thier site also....but I think they are not stocking Sti any more also....just blowing them out..they are no longer on thier site ..just checked...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts