Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an adjustment for the steering, or would I have to adjust both tie-rods? This is a new sportsman 450 that I finally took out on the road today. I never noticed it before, but only have a few hours on it, so today was a surprise.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
Adjustment would be in the tie rods. Make sure the tire pressures are even first. Also chk the rear spring preload to make sure that is the same on both sides.

Reactions: SportsFans

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When parked, if I center the bars, the wheels are obviously turned. So far, I'm really disappointed in this sportsman.

·
11,026 Posts
When parked, if I center the bars, the wheels are obviously turned. So far, I'm really disappointed in this sportsman.
Wheel alignment is no biggy but should have been done during setup at the dealer.
If its a new machine I'd see if they will take care of it...You paid for it when you bought it.
If no luck, its pretty simple. Place a straight edge along the centerline of the wheels. (a good straight 2x4 will work) Lock the bars straight ahead with ratchet straps. Loosen all 4 lock nuts on the tie rod ends and twist the rods to adjust so the front edge of the front tires are pointed out about a 1/4" in relation to the back edge on both sides. Then tighten the locks while holding the rod still.
A little trick I often use is to just remove both front wheels and do the alignment off the brake discs. You adjust so the measurement between the front of the discs is about 1/4" more than at the rear of the discs. You also want to check that the measurement to the a arm mount is the same on both sides to make sure you are truly straight. Makes access a lot easier and will get them pretty much spot on if you take your time and measure close.
NOTE: the outers are left hand thread so they turn backwards from normal to tighten and loosen.

·
11,026 Posts
Uh, I just looked at the parts diagram. Is that machine EPS? It could be that the upper steering stem is off a notch or two where it goes on the EPS motor rather than a problem with the tie rods. You might want to do some measuring of the rod lengths before you take anything loose. If they are right when the wheels are straight then the stem may be the issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh, I just looked at the parts diagram. Is that machine EPS? It could be that the upper steering stem is off a notch or two where it goes on the EPS motor rather than a problem with the tie rods. You might want to do some measuring of the rod lengths before you take anything loose. If they are right when the wheels are straight then the stem may be the issue.
thanks for the adjustment walk thru', and no, it's not EPS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did a quick check, with the bars straight, the left wheel appears straight, while the right one is turned in considerably. A quick check shows total toe IN, of about 1 1/8", but the manual says it should be 1/4 to 1/2 toe OUT? Is that right? I've never seen a vehicle that didn't have toe-IN. We called before picking up this unit, they said they had a blue 450 ready to go, but when we got there (1-1/2 hour away) they had realized it was sold, so had to set up another one. So, we DID put a bit of a rush on 'em, but still ticks me off. But I'm definitely not driving 3 hours round trip for them to fix it.

Main question now: this IS supposed to have toe OUT, not in?

·
11,026 Posts
I just did a quick check, with the bars straight, the left wheel appears straight, while the right one is turned in considerably. A quick check shows total toe IN, of about 1 1/8", but the manual says it should be 1/4 to 1/2 toe OUT? Is that right? I've never seen a vehicle that didn't have toe-IN. We called before picking up this unit, they said they had a blue 450 ready to go, but when we got there (1-1/2 hour away) they had realized it was sold, so had to set up another one. So, we DID put a bit of a rush on 'em, but still ticks me off. But I'm definitely not driving 3 hours round trip for them to fix it.

Main question now: this IS supposed to have toe OUT, not in?
Yep, just as I described above...these machines always toe OUT a little. Toed farther out is more straight-line stable and the more toed toward being straight in line the tighter the cornering. If toed in too tight they are darty on the road at speed and can be dangerous. If yours is off by that much you'll be amazed how much better it will handle when set up correctly. I generally run my machines about 1/8" out since I'm usually on tight deep woods trails most of the time and like the handling to be a little tighter. When on the road between trails I seldom exceed 50-55 and it works out just fine. Tire wear is good and even too.
LOL...a Honda Foreman is supposed to toe out something like 3/4" to 1 1/4". I've had a couple newer Hondas in the shop last couple years that were wearing out front tires fast and found them set at 1 3/4" or more toed out from the dealer...Make'm more stable for liability reasons I guess? :nixweiss:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Polman, it definitely feels better on the road, and the bars are close to centered. I ended up with 1/2" toe out when measured at the center seam of the tires, tho' I set it with a weighted string at what should've been 1/4". I may crank one side back a little to get closer to 1/4". I was hoping it would ease some of the wobbles I get at 50+mph, but no such luck. I'm guessing a lot of that comes from flat spots while sitting unused for so long.....our golf cart tires do the same thing. What few hours this had on it, (3.x) was pushing stone in my driveway, so road handling hadn't been an issue until yesterday.

·
11,026 Posts
Oh yeah, I sorta told you wrong I guess. I was forgetting that to be 1/4 out your measure would be 1/8 each side...sorry. But you know how it works now. Glad you got it lined up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you explain the steering stem process? I have a new scrambler with similar steering issues. Brand new off the floor and slighy off center bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts