Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, thinking of increasing the length at where the tie rod bolts up, at the strut, trying to make the steering a little easier. Anyone tried this?
thanks in advance .

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
On a cast piece, i don't see how.
Maybe wider handlebars might give some extra leverage.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I assume by adding an inch you are thinking it will give you the advantage of a lever? Sorta like slipping a pipe over your ratchet. I do not think an inch will produce the results you are looking for. One thing it will do is change the dynamics of the steering. The mod may limit the the amount of travel in one direction or the other, or could possibly allow the wheels to travel to much or over steer. Depending on how the front end is set up you may have to shorten or lengthen the tie rods. Not to mention possible alignment problems.

In order for a lever to be efficient, one must significantly increase the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is being applied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume by adding an inch you are thinking it will give you the advantage of a lever? Sorta like slipping a pipe over your ratchet. I do not think an inch will produce the results you are looking for. One thing it will do is change the dynamics of the steering. The mod may limit the the amount of travel in one direction or the other, or could possibly allow the wheels to travel to much or over steer. Depending on how the front end is set up you may have to shorten or lengthen the tie rods. Not to mention possible alignment problems.

In order for a lever to be efficient, one must significantly increase the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is being applied.
That is why I was thinking of !" by increasing the distance, should be easier steering , also decreasing the turning circle , the polaris has lots of that, as for the tie rods, hmmmm , well I have tig welded 1" more on the struts, but I am at a stand still, need speedy on one of the struts, its worn out and leeking, looks like a pain to change out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts