Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting those STI HD3 rims and trying out those black diamond XTR 27's on my wife's machine..

Anybody else try these tires yet?

I want get another set tires for mine but don't know what I want yet... Kinda wanna see how they are perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just put the fronts on my fiancés 850 touring... Here's a shot on her's, and one of my scrambler with her wheel standing it next to it

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Been testing them on our test units for about 6 months. We have used them in FL, AR, SD, WI, MI, KY and WV so far.They are a awesome tire. Just came in from running them in 24+ inches of snow and they did the job! They are also a DOT approved tire. Meaning they are smooth on blacktop but have plenty of traction when needed on the trail. Any questions feel free to call the shop at 815-321-3888 & ask for Thor 26" STI Black Diamond With 14" STI HD3 Wheel package

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just put the fronts on my fiancés 850 touring... Here's a shot on her's, and one of my scrambler with her wheel standing it next to it

What off set are the rims on the scrambler?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Will they fit the touring's in standard size and stock wheels? Without spacers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do your wheels stick out on the scrambler with those rims?

·
Registered
27 Posts

What off set are the rims on the scrambler?

The STI hd3s I am putting on her bike are 14x7, 4/156, 6+1 on all four corners.

I went with BH on the scrambler cause I'm a bit more aggressive, and the research I did suggested they would not fit in the touring without scraping or requiring modifications. On her bike, the rims are the same size as the stock ones I'm taking off, but I picked the black diamonds because others have reported no issues with clearance on the touring 850s. I would have preferred to run the same on both bikes, but this way we can see how we like the grip in various terrains (rocks, trails, mild mud, sand dunes).

On my way now to pick up the tires and rims. I dropped them off this morning so they could swap everything around ;-)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How far so your tires stick out with those hd3 rims?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The HD3s went on her Touring XP 850, and the fronts aren't bad but the rears stick out a good inch or more vs the stock tires. Looks mean !

The BH1.0 stick out a lot more than the original stock tires did, but it's about the same as her bike. I need to measure the overall width, I haven't yet.

Attached are photos post install including photos at the dunes. The results were night and day different. I'm running 4 psi on both bikes and we never had an issue with traction at all that day. Great upgrade overall!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's some photos I took during the install. There is a clear height difference between the BHs and the STIs and you can see side by side. There have been no issues with rubbing or clearance at all, though I don't think the BHs would have worked on the touring without cutting some supports; they are just that much larger but it's not an issue on the scrambler. The BHs on the scrambler with no mud flaps throw a ton of mud and dirt, kinda fun really. It has been super wet lately so the dunes were semi flooded and so I got to throw water a bit ;-)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey thanks for posting all those great pictures. I have the same Touring and have been considering the STI HD3 wheels in 6+1. Its nice to see them mounted up on a similar machine.
Oh, and congrats on having a girl cool enough to ride with ya!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said screw it and just mounted them to stock scrambler rim... Don't actually look that bad.... She likes them already... They defiantly through the snow... Lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just placed an order last evening for a set of BDs for my touring.

I called a semi local dealer (only 2 hours away) and they said either the fronts or the backs are on back order. then when I went to Rocky Mountain's site I accidentally put 4 of the one size in my cart and it said they were out of stock.

Don't know weather or not a lot of people are buying them or not.

Hopefully I made the right choice. My stockers have taken me for 1600 miles. A couple of flats. I even put a rock all the way through my aluminum wheel.

I am sure they will have traction. I am concerned they are 10lbs each heavier and that they do not rub the foot well. I will not put on spacers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just tried out a set on my Sportsman. Look at the tire and wheel section to see my remarks.
My initial impressions are great. I ran the stock pressure of 5/7. I don't think they ride bad at all.
They are in SS 212 wheels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have the xtr un a 26" on the sti hd 3 wheel and love them. I get completely covered in mud, any time I ride. IMO they are a bit rough riding at <5 mph. But I am messing around with air pressure and hoping that takes care of the problem....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got those for my wife's scrambler but we just kept the stock rims... I'll have to check the air pressure and see what it is

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had them on my 500 with 15" hd2 wheels, road great and was good in the mud to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have about 50 miles on mine now.
Really like them. Rad the left front go slack yesterday. I don't know why yet, maybe a fluke.
They grab the nasty well. I almost never use 4 wheel drive now.
Also they keep traction so now my ADC and EBS actually work well now. I don't have to worry about the rear end sliding out on a steep down hill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Holy crap I love these tires! I put mine on yesterday and put about 30 miles on them last night. I've never had a tire grip this well in pretty much all situations. I've had Zillas, Terra Cross, 489's, bear claws, mud lights, and the raw hides that came on my 700. These are so far my favorites by a pretty wide margin. If they hold up as well as I hope I will be buying another set some day. I hit everything from rock, to sand, steep hills, fast open sections, and every mud hole I could find. I was with 4 other quads and by the end of our ride they were spending more time trying to find mud to try and get me stuck in then actually riding lol. I went through every one of them in two wheel drive with relative ease using some throttle control. There was one quad with us with executioners, and he was getting stuck in holes in 4 wheel and then I would come through right behind him and just walk through in 2 wheel drive. It didn't seem to matter what type of terrain we were in or what speed, the tires just gripped and went. Best investment on my quad to date.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts