Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get on the ATV and fire it up after it sits I can barley move the gear shifter, something have to smack it a few times to get it to pop out and into gear. but after she has moved it shifts just fine.
Any idea's?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine does that when I have the choke set and have about 1400 to 1700 rpms. When it is warmed up and at a normal idle it shifts fine.

seabee78

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What model/year machine do you have?

Earlier models (199X-2003-4'ish depending on model) had a reverse figure 4 pattern, and the linkage inside the shifter handle box would wear or come out of adjustment.... or it could be a warn belt.

Where the newer inline shifters are more of a dirrect linkage and it's usually a worn belt.

As when the belt wears i rides deeper in the clutches and may start to engauge the secondary, causing hard shift issue.

Or, if the engine idle is to high (like with the choke on, as mentioned) it will also cause this engaugement.

Either way, I'd start by replacing the belt and checking engine idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, I was real tired when I posted this, It also is like that when it is shut off, not just when it is running. also I updated my signature to include the ATV info
1999 Magnum 4x4. I never knew the shifter had oil in it. This is my first Atv so I am in learning mode. My biggest issue is fixing the 4x4 so it works correctly and not when it feels like it wants to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts