Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having troubles with my 05 Sportsman 500. I changed the fuel filter, drained the tank and flushed - incase of bad fuel, checked all the hoses, and made sure the battery cables with tight. It ran great for 2 days after all these changes, but on the 3rd day it was running good and the problem flaired up again. Riding along and I could feel the quad slowing down, and when I gave it the gas it acted like it was flooded and just stopped running. It will restart imidiatly and run for a few miles and then die again. It did this a couple of times then ran good the rest of the day. I am tired of beating my head on this one. Any and all ideas on what else I need to check or correct would be appricated.

Thanks
Wyoflyfishing - Frustrated.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
intermitant problems are always a headache to find what the problem really is. you could take the carb. off and clean the bowl and jets out,if you are sure that this is a fuel problem. you could check the coil and ignition switch connections just in case. it almost has to not be running to find out what's wrong. good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does a person "check the coil and ignition switch connections"? and what would I be checking for? I am a newbie to the world of ATV's. I bought this machine used a month ago. It ran good at first and all. I just have a fear that someday it won't start back up. I also noticed that the hand warms don't work anymore. Could this be intertwind with the running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
wyoflyfishing, I am checking with my service dept to get you some help or insight on this problem. I will post again with the results real soon. Sounds like the needle/seat need to be replaced but let me see what our techs say. In the meantime go to www.purepolaris.com and in the upper links you will find an online parts catalog. Get to the catalog, find your model and check out the carb breakdown. I can tell you nine out of ten times the only replacement parts you will need for the carb is the needle/seat and the bowl gasket. The other tenth would be if your bowl actually has a crack in it which then would also need too be replaced but this does not seem like a bowl problem otherwise you would have fuel leaking.
I will let you know.
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK sir, I just got back to the office and got the results from our shop. 1. Check the fuel tank vent to see if it is pinched or plugged. 2. The fuel pump diaphram may be cracked. There is no way to pressure test this so you will need to disassemble it and get a visual. Lastly number 3. Clean the carb.
I calculated the parts to be at about $95.00 assuming you needed to replace all mentioned parts plus the needle/seat and carb bowl gasket. All easy repairs if your handy with tools and for an 05 model these items are getting close to needing replaced anyway. My feeling is if I had to dig into it, tear apart a carb, etc. I would replace those items for that price.
Let us know what you find.
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will take your advice and start at #1 an work my way down to the carb.

What kind of Pandora box would I be opening if I never dealt with a motorcycle carb? I can handle tools and repairs, but I have not worked on a carb of any kind in over 20 years, and don't know how much a pain in the a$$ it would be, or exactly what to take apart and not take apart to "clean it".

Thanks for the great advice and a new attack plan and the parts info as well. I will keep you posted. I agree that we need to get you an advertisement spot on this website! Does anyone know how to get them nominated or whom to contact?

Regards,
Duane

·
Registered
126 Posts
If your hand warmers are not working very well it could be your stator...... that is causing your drivability problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike;
Thanks for checking with your technicions about the carb question. Look forward to hearing back from you.

H20:
Thanks for repling back on my question. You have me wondering where this "stator" is located and what to be checking for.

I appriciate all the wonderfull advice, and look forward to further corispondance from both of you, and anyone else willing to share advice or ideas.

wyoflyfishing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping for some opinions on a product some people have been recommending. Something called "seafoam"? They are all telling me to run some of this thru it before doing any carb. rebuilding? Is this something that will not affect the machine or it's components?

wyoflyfishing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
is it an EFI model? if so it's probably that sensor on top of your throttle body it's black and it moves around, ziptie it off to one side that's how i fixed my buddies

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
4play;
My machine is a 500 H.O. Carb'd. I did find the tank breather hose was pinched. When I straighned the line I had a rush of gasses noise from the hose,and the tank make a shifting sound. I guess I will try the machine and see if that was the issue.

Will keep posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts