Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Xplorer 400
When I bought it the guy said it needed a new regulator as it was blowing light all over the place. I found a used one and put it in. I brought my battery to a battery dealer to have it checked, it was 100%. I measured the stator resistance, 0.3ohms coil to coil. It is still NOT charging the battery!
At idle the battery voltage is around 11.75v, if I crank it up it does rise to just over 12v.
I disconnected the regulator while running and at ide it is only spitting out around 6.2v.
Now the only thing that was different is that the original regulator was an LR-37 and the replacement is an LR-35
Original had only yel-red, yel-blk, yellow and red
Replacement has extra brown wire but when ohmed out, it is attached to the casing anyways.
I added a digital battery voltage monitor and when cruising it never exceeds 11.88V
WTF?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Does anyone know what voltage I should be getting out of the stator at idle or at 2000rpm?
I'm willing to order a replacement regulator but don't want to waste $100 only to find out that it was the stator or something else all along.
This is driving me nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You should be getting 25-30v+ out of the stator. It's the 3 white or yellow wires that generate the power. The others are for the ignition. Sounds like a bad stator to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stator measurement

I'm thinking so too. There are 2 coils with a common connection.
I assume I should be getting this 25-30v (ac) from the outer coils like in my diagram.
Plus 0.3ohms seems pretty low to me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm thinking so too. There are 2 coils with a common connection.
I assume I should be getting this 25-30v (ac) from the outer coils like in my diagram.
Plus 0.3ohms seems pretty low to me
I agree should be 3.0 ohms.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's there are two coils that share a ground connection. One generates power the other fires the ignition. I don't have the stator specs on hand at the moment, but a search well likely give them to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I see a double coil with a common ground all going to the regulator and an additional coil going to the CDI which I would think is for the ignition. There is no problem with the ignition.
1995 Xplorer 400L

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Xplorer 400L Coil resistance

This is from the service manual. I might be reading it wrong but it does look like the charge coils from the stator should indeed be around 0.3 ohm

Attachments

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I might have a new charging coil for that machine. I'll check when I get a chance. I think I paid $40 for it. Add $10 and I'll ship it up to you. Check the voltage when running. It's a better test than ohming it out if there is a question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coil.

Awesome!
I will just double check that mine is measuring what it is supposed to.
For kicks, do you mind measuring the resistance from y-y/r and y-y/b ?

It only makes sense that it is the coil so I will likely buy it from you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

OK.
It's too bloody cold to measure the stator voltage but I had the regulator out already so I experimented a bit.

The stator would spit out what is equivalent to a center tapped transformer so I connected one with the outer taps to Y-R and Y with the center tap on Y-B
I supplied about 30V, out came 12.5V from the regulator. I even added a load to draw an amp out of it and it stayed at 12.5v, I would say that this regulator is doing what it is supposed to do and it is looking more and more like the stator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts