Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I posted this question in the " Performance & mods" section but did not have any luck so I will see if anyone on the 850xp forum knows the answer to my question.
What is the stock clutching specs for the 2013 850XP? Weights, beginning & the ending of spring compression rates? I would like to get a primary spring that is stiffer at the beginning of the compression but the same as stock at the end just to bring up my engagement a bit higher to hopefully get rid of the low end bog. Can't go too stiff however as the stiffer the Primary spring, (without going heavier weights) the less side force on the belt (more belt slippage). I would also like to get a little stiffer secondary spring to keep the RPM's up a bit which would also keep it in a lower gear ratio as I have 27" Reptile radials which added a fair amount of weight. These changes should compensate for the larger tires also.
Need the stock set up specs as my starting point
Thank you for any & all help :)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The bog off the start is in the weight profile of the xp line. Not going to tune it out with a spring. If you like I can mail you a couple of the shims we use in the qsc kits to adjust engagement rpm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ridinagain, I see what you mean by changing the profile to help with the "bog" on these machines. Are the weights that come in your QSC kit adjustable or are they just cut with less weight in the heal to keep it from shifting out as quick & more weight distributed towards the tip?
Would the shims work with the stock spring or is your spring stiffer than stock at the beginning of the compression?
Thanks for your help Ridenagain!
p.s The QSC kit is not ruled out, I am in the process of weighing my options:veryhappy:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Put a QSC one in your XP. I have one with and without and there is a huge difference. Ridinagain set me up.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Swear I typed this out earlier....

I posted a thread on the weights and their profiles and differences a few months back. The Polaris ones are all fixed weights. Cam am stuff has a choice as they are harder to set up and dial in.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ications/47844-clutch-weight-explination.html

The shims will work with stock spring about the same as with the QSC kits. May be slightly off due to the difference in rates but will accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sending the link to your post on clutch weights, however, after tuning clutches for the past 15 years I am actually confused. You said the stock weights are 63g's & the QSC kit comes with 60g weights, that makes sense to me as the lesser weight will keep the clutches at a lower gear ratio. Indyred800 & vorteccz71wv said they are running bigger tires & they got 64g weights in their kit, that got me confused as the 850 can't pull those weights with bigger rubber unless the primary spring is a lot more stiffer which would defeat the purpose of using heavier weights.The "hump" to which you referred to on the stock weights you said adds to a higher engagement, would not that hump "more heel weight" make it engage earlier, lower RPM?
As far as heavier tip weight loosing top end, the heavier tip weight will allow more shift out & as long as the motor can sustain the optimum rpm where the motor makes the most HP, technically it should go faster.
Going with your shims to increase the engagement, then possibly throwing in a set of adjustable weights might be the way to go. Fine tuning the heal of the weight I think would work very well.
Ridinagain, do you by chance have adjustable weights?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No adjustable weights for the Polaris from QSC. I think Dalton might make a set. But most adjustable weights are way more than a complete fixed weight kit would be. And once set up you wouldn't ever change them. I'm with you on years of clutch tuning and racing, etc. I'm just not willing to spend the money on dozens of parts to experiment till I find what works when I've found a kit that flat out rocks and leaves almost nothing to be desired IMO.

It's not the weight at the heal that's the issue. It's the start angle of the ramp that is so steep. That is what makes for the jumpy engagement. The heavier tip is offset by a slightly stiffer finish rate on the primary spring so it equals out and keeps you at peak RPM. the 800's run 64s, the 850s run 60's. It's odd to me too with the HP difference between them. Has to be something in the driveline, or maybe just the difference in the way they make power.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No adjustable weights for the Polaris from QSC. I think Dalton might make a set. But most adjustable weights are way more than a complete fixed weight kit would be. And once set up you wouldn't ever change them. I'm with you on years of clutch tuning and racing, etc. I'm just not willing to spend the money on dozens of parts to experiment till I find what works when I've found a kit that flat out rocks and leaves almost nothing to be desired IMO.

It's not the weight at the heal that's the issue. It's the start angle of the ramp that is so steep. That is what makes for the jumpy engagement. The heavier tip is offset by a slightly stiffer finish rate on the primary spring so it equals out and keeps you at peak RPM. the 800's run 64s, the 850s run 60's. It's odd to me too with the HP difference between them. Has to be something in the driveline, or maybe just the difference in the way they make power.
I like tuning my clutches to get them to suit my riding style & yes it sometimes is a pain in the butt but like you said, once you have it just right, you leave it alone after that, lol! I like adjustable weights for the simple reason they are easy to adjust & tune but The Dalton kit is $100 more than the QSC, that is a lot more money just for adjustable weights!
Ridinagain, basically what I want to gain out of my quad is arm stretching bottom end, bottom line, lmao!! With 71-77hp it should be capable of pulling like a freight train, just need to put that HP to the rubber doughnuts, haha. Right now a friend of mines 700 Grizzly pulls harder than mine off the line.....he only has 46hp!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The weight profile is your biggest enemy for the arm stretching power you are looking for. You can buy just the QSC weights if you like, but like 100% of the others that have tried it, you will probably be calling for the springs a week later. Or you pony up for the adjustable weights. The canam weights are $100 difference between fixed and adjustable from QSC too. And on top of that, most of the canam stuff is $100 more than the Polaris stuff too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ridinagain, the arm stretching (lol) QSC kit you said is $239 shipped to Canada, is that with taxes in as well I presume? If so, I think I will splurge & abort configuring my own kit, lol!! It would definitely take the guess work out of it, that to me would be worth the extra $70-$80 to pay for the many hours of testing that goes into clutching:fest06:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That's what I paid for mine shipped to Winnipeg. :)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yep. $239 shipped. Claim $50 value on USPS priority since that's what they are automatically insured for. No brown truck to hit you with brokerage fees either.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. $239 shipped. Claim $50 value on USPS priority since that's what they are automatically insured for. No brown truck to hit you with brokerage fees either.
After giving it much thought, I figured it is not worth it to buy the adjustable weights as they will cost around pretty much the same as your already configured kit. Judging by the weight comparison pictures you posted, I do believe the QSC weights will make a big difference over the OEM ones as the OEM weights have that huge heel hump (lol) which you pointed out, that plus all the weight being in the heel because of the hump will make it shift out way quicker than it should creating the boggy feel.
I find shipping USPS from the U.S to Canada is the only way to go! I have ordered many things from the U.S & always get the items shipped this way, never had to pay brokerage fees or anything.
I will send you a p.m about purchasing the QSC clutch kit when I have a chance:veryhappy:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I paid for mine shipped to Winnipeg. :)
InRbigness, I am only a couple hours East of you, lol! I hear there are lots of Atv rides around your area. A friend of mine went on one & said there had to have been 1000 quads!!! Planning to go next summer! By the way, performance wise, how are you liking the QSC kit? How does it compare to stock?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You must be in Kenora or so. I really like it. I have yet to try it on dry dirt as I put it in my machine in November. I have two XP's so its nice to be able to compare the two. I have not been on any rides with that many people but I have a cottage up by Grand Beach and we have hundreds of miles worth for trails so we normally get 10-15 guys and go out and have fun.

I would like to do a poker derby or two as well this year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must be in Kenora or so. I really like it. I have yet to try it on dry dirt as I put it in my machine in November. I have two XP's so its nice to be able to compare the two. I have not been on any rides with that many people but I have a cottage up by Grand Beach and we have hundreds of miles worth for trails so we normally get 10-15 guys and go out and have fun.

I would like to do a poker derby or two as well this year.
When you have a chance to compare the two 850's side by side, PLEASE post the results as not only myself but many on here would like to here how the QSC kit performs against the stock clutching!!!! :top:
I am in the process of ordering a kit from Ridinagain. Decided to go that route instead of creating my own kit because I have heard many good things about the QSC kit & Ridinagain is awesome to deal with, always willing to help answer questions & has good knowledgeable advise:biggthumpup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts