Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of XP takeoffs to stud for ice fishing. Grip studs look best to me but a buck apiece is pricey, but they probably stay in way better than screws. Can anyone help me find the tread depth for Maxxis M9805&6 tires, they don't even list them on their website. I'd hate to end up with a bunch of flat tires. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have put the Kold Kutter 1/2 inch ice studs in those tires with no problem. Tread depth is probably around 5/8th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I came up with 13mm. Razor thin room for error. I thought I'd try slime if I poked through. How do the screws hold up, I'll be using these tires just on ice and snow. $60 a thousand vs $200 for studs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They will hold up great I have 5 seasons on my stock set of wheels with gold ice screws. Just a tip overinflate the tire before you screw them in, then drop pressure down at least 2 pounds the recommended pressure. The screws will hold the rubber much better

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, I heard gluing them in was the way to go. What glue works best. I'm just getting set up for Sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago, in case I can't drive my truck out. But so far it looks like they'll be driving out in a few weeks. Ken

·
Registered
192 Posts
Iv never heard about using glue and I run mine very hard without many issues. Ya this weather is making ice fast. I am from Seymour and normally make my way down for a day or two to help with the bottle bass

·
Registered
668 Posts
Mine did not come out, but I was easy on the throttle with them. If you are trying to roost over everything when riding they are going to get ripped out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just bought a set of XP takeoffs to stud for ice fishing. Grip studs look best to me but a buck apiece is pricey, but they probably stay in way better than screws. Can anyone help me find the tread depth for Maxxis M9805&6 tires, they don't even list them on their website. I'd hate to end up with a bunch of flat tires. Thanks, Ken
Man those are spendy! These don;t look as good but a hell of a lot cheaper.
Ice Studs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks like 1/2 screws will go to the bottom of the tread with the tire carcass to spare. Gold screws were among my choices, but now are regular or pro the best. Pro looks to be the same as Cold
Cutter. Also each tire has about 100 lugs. One or two screws per lug, or two screws in center lugs one on the sides? Front wheels studded the same as rear? I saw on utube a guy used gorilla glue on his and they were the only ones that stayed in. In some forum locktite was used. All comments appreciated. Ken

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maxxis .511

Here's where I'm going. Maxxis finally responded and the lugs are 13mm which means 1/2 screws are good to go. I ordered Gold Screw Pro because they're the same as Cold Cutters. Same screw, two companies must be something to it. Gorilla glue super glue $5. If the kid on utube can beat his quad and the glued screws don't come out I'm on board. I going to put 2 screws per lug, 200 per tire. Might be a waste of time this year as trucks are already driving on the lake. But I can test it out for a different year. What with global warming and all. GO PACKERS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts