Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the stock paper air filters reusable? How do you clean them? If reusable How many washes before it should be replaced? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I 're-use' them to the extent you can gently blow or

tap out the outside layer of dust. I do this periodically until the unit looks pretty dirty and/or lots of sun is blocked when holding it up to light. The blowing/tapping just knocks the loose stuff out and gives it a little longer life...

·
Registered
679 Posts
tap out the outside layer of dust. I do this periodically until the unit looks pretty dirty and/or lots of sun is blocked when holding it up to light. The blowing/tapping just knocks the loose stuff out and gives it a little longer life...
That's not a good idea. Inevitably there will be fine dust that enters the inside of the filter, which in turn will find it's way inside the motor. Blowing it out with a compressor is even a worse idea. Whether you see it not you are damaging the filter.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It's the pre-filters that are washable and if kept clean will greatly extend the life of the paper filter.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's not a good idea. Inevitably there will be fine dust that enters the inside of the filter, which in turn will find it's way inside the motor. Blowing it out with a compressor is even a worse idea. Whether you see it not you are damaging the filter.
I hear ya, i should have said at low pressure, i often am too lazy to fire up the compressor so i just tap em. I've seen plenty of mechanics do the same with a quick psst of air from the forward direction of the air travel backwards. If you bend em well better have a replacement ready! I usually only do this once and then within a month replace it anyway. :cowboy:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not saying your wrong but how do you know that?

·
Registered
668 Posts
If the air filter is real dusty, I vacuum them. Don't press the vacuum hose on the pleats, just go over them very close. Usually gets all the dust off and never caused any damage. Done this to paper air cleaners for many years with good results. Clean the prefilter with mild soap and make sure it is completely dry before putting back on. I have spares so I can put a new one on while the old one is drying. If you get the filter wet or muddy throw it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ll take a look at it today

·
Registered
679 Posts
Anything over 30psi is going to ruin your PAPER air filter. Whether you see it of not you are creating small holes. I did a high school project over 25 years ago on this subject. Amazing what you can see through a microscope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts