Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of polaris aluminum rims from an 08 i believe, also picked up a new quad that came with the factory steel ones. Im deciding whether or not to swap out the steel ones for the aluminum ones. Is there any drawbacks to the aluminum?? i do go through some pretty nasty stuff. i was going to weigh them both as well to see if there really is any difference there. The only reason im undecided is the 08 rims are used and have a few scratches and i'll be putting them on a brand new bike.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Factory steel wheels are extremely light duty, easily bent and ugly. Aluminum wheels are surprisingly durable and take a hell of a beating without failure. Your machine may be new, but after a ride or two, it will never have the same brand new look or shine to it. I would not be concerned with putting a set of wheels on it that are pre-scuffed for you. A used aluminum wheel looks better than a new OEM steel wheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya your right. I'll go around the mud for the first couple miles then it will be all over after that

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the aluminum. Those steel wheels are butt ugly, I can't believe polaris would put such ugly wheels on a beautiful machine. Mine had them, they were the first thing I changed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steel, my son has a set of ITP ss212 on his and has broken 2 of them in a mud pit,and when I say broken I mean cut into from yhe back side.Broke 1 axle, front and back caliper,rear hub and 2 wheels,never saw anything like it.The good part was that ITP said to send pictures of wheels with warranty paper and they replaced them for free no questions asked! So with that said the aluminuim look great my son still uses them,but mine are steel factory.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i have the ITP ss212 and have had no problem at all. You might have got a bad set that were made on a monday

·
Registered
450 Posts
i have the ITP ss212 and have had no problem at all. You might have got a bad set that were made on a monday
Or on a Friday just before beer-30... :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
or maybe a son that could break an anvil?? Not taking a shot at you or your son, it's just that some people can break anything. Don't ask me how I know that... :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the ITP Delta steel wheels. I figure with the conditions i play in and the fact that i have bent and fixed my stock steel wheels a number of times and even replaced one for $60+, I can stick with steel. Besides if i have to replace one of the ITP's its $35.

seabee78

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would have steel over aluminum rims any day. Steel rims are easier bent; but you can bend them right back; they are much more durable imo. Aluminum tends to break as where steel bends. Plus they are cheep; and I don't care when they get mangled :)

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I have the ITP Delta steel wheels. I figure with the conditions i play in and the fact that i have bent and fixed my stock steel wheels a number of times and even replaced one for $60+, I can stick with steel. Besides if i have to replace one of the ITP's its $35.

seabee78
That's cheating. The OP was talking about OEM steel wheels. The Delta steel wheels are indestructible, and look good as well. Had them on my X2 and switched them over to my wifes 500 when I sold the X2. 10x stronger than the OEM steel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts