Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '13 550xp and a Warn 60" county plow. How am I gunna do with stock tires? No $'s for new tires. I figure worst case I'll get some tire chains. I was just wondering how these stock tires are gunna do plowing snow.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yea, I expect less than a foot. It rarely snows that much at one time here in S Michigan. I know I will run out of traction before power LOL thats what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Like you said, worst comes worst just add some chains. Air down a few psi as well an that will help.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I use the same machine as you for plowing. I am also running the stock tires. I have had no issues with traction in 4X4 with mine, I run about 5 PSI in the winter. However all of my plowing is on paved surfaces. You should be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Compared to the traction you get from your snow boots while pushing a snow shovel, I'd say you will be happy with the stock tires.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm plowing a long gravel drive. I hope traction is not an issue. 90% or more of it is just knocking it to the side. Thats why I got the county plow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I`m using stock tires on my 500 on the west side of the state no trouble at all ,you know lake effect.:beerchug:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yah we get just a little more, your stock tires will work just fine:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The newer stock tires really suck, but they will work fine, you will just slide around a little more. Add weight like someone else said, or you can put screws in the tires, but be careful as the stock tire lugs are not as deep as most aftermarket rubber...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We got about 10 inches of snow and they are doing just fine. Slip around a bit but they are ok

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've been plowing with an ATV since 1990. Never had to use chains. If it gets deep and is heavy....I just take smaller bites. Had 25" fall overnite once and while it took longer to move, I didn't have that much trouble.
This 500 is a plowing machine! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A big hello to everyone. I'm new here as of today.
Just bought a MY 2000- 500 a few weeks ago. Built a 48" plow for it. This weekend we got 8" of snow. My front tires are somewhat bald, rears are a little better. This bike pushed that snow pretty easy in high and low! Only issue was I didn't know I needed to push a little yellow button for 4x4 in reverse! Thought the bike was broke. Now I know better.
You won't have any problem! Just don't dig into the gravel or you will have a pile of stones in the spring!.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I run 4 PSI on my tires i also have 13 850 touring. Airing down will help alot, also add a sack of salt in on the front rack for traction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts