Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find replacement stock wheels for my 2015 Sportsman 850? I realize that the dealer can probably order these for me but I've read that these can be expensive.

I'm mainly looking for a replacement front and rear wheel (rim and tire) to take with me on long trips where I am riding alone. I carry a plug kit and slime kit with min-compressor but I've been out on rides where people have blown out the sidewall on a rock and the tire cannot be repaired.

I mostly ride alone and at time I can be 50 -100 miles to the nearest road, town, etc so a cheap spare would be nice. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
skip the spare and upgrade to a better set of tires. the stock tires are "ok" but even that can be a generous description of them. Aftermarket tires in a 6 or 8 ply will be much tougher and better able to handle punctures. I continue to say that the two best bang for your buck upgrades for any utility ATV are new tires, and clutch kits. both will change your ATV's performance on night vs Day levels.

Not to mention hauling 2 spares is going to take up A LOT of real estate. on the Machine or on a trailer. I personally feel that your money would be better spent on upgrading the tires vs trying to drag two additional wheel tire combos with you on the trail.

If you insist on spares, you might be able to find some take-offs from the dealer, or on Craigslist. that's where most people find them.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I can totally understand wanting to carry a spare if riding solo, that far out. Just one spare is all he would need to carry. I would recommend a front tire and wheel, since it will fit either the front or rear with no problems. Just new tires isn't necessarily the answer. I twice had to replace what was supposed to be the best, toughest tire you could buy for an atv. The over priced, over hyped Pitbull Rocker. This was the worst one. With enough plugs, 7 or 8 I think, I was able to keep enough air in it to get back to the truck, but that was less than 10 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Another option would be to go with a beadlock rim and an 8-ply tire that could be run with 0 psi. This way if you did damage the tire beyond repair you could still ride it with out separating the tire from the rim.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you're also on 14" wheels. so upgrading to a larger tire (28" was about right, right bob?) to get more sidewall to help prevent pinched side walls like the one Bob showed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for their input. I hadn't considered a thicker ply tire or a tire that can run on 0 psi. I think I may find a single front rim and tire and secure it to my back rack however. Maybe the dealer has a takeoff I could purchase.

Also I hadn't heard of bead lock rims so I'll look into that for any future upgrades on my rims. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
you're also on 14" wheels. so upgrading to a larger tire (28" was about right, right bob?) to get more sidewall to help prevent pinched side walls like the one Bob showed.
That is correct. Once I went to a 28" tire, my pinched bead/sidewall worries were over. 28" on a 14" wheel gives you the same amount of sidewall as a 26" on a 12" wheel. That made it possible to run 4 (rear)-5 (front) psi again, which is right were they need to be for the best ride and performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts