Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to sell used underwear here, it's in good condition, may need to be deep cleaned.
$20 Canadian dollar plus shipping (shipping will be determined once you send me your full address)

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
Depending on the application; my CRF I use OEM and UNI (one in the bike and one in a ziplok bag ready to go in), my 1970 Kawasaki 90 has an OEM which is cared for very carefully, my Triumphs have EMGO reproduction OEM which is the only thing available other than K&N, my TRX400EX UNI and TWIN AIR, my VT100 Shadow has a HiFlo OEM style aftermarket replacement, my Harley has a BikeMaster replica replacement and my Polaris the OEM or All Balls paper filter with the sock prefilter, I have even used Uni bulk foam to make replacement filter for some of my vintage bikes for which no filter is available from any source - I simply will not use a gauze filter - the nylon Polaris sock and OuterWear prefilters actually filter out smaller particles than the actual K&N. If you need the performance over the longevity of the engine, then K&N will aid in gaining a bit more power at the cost of more frequent engine service, but the performance is a cost of racing. If you are not into all out performance, then stay with the OEM style filter. I race my 04 CRF with the stock and Uni filter and change them after every race, but the engine gets a new piston every 30 hours (about every 4 months) as routine maintenance - I have a spare cylinder for the time I go to replace the piston and find that it needs replaced too - when that happens, I will have the original cylinder bore re-plated and it will be my spare. I will not use a Niche or Athena cylinder on my CRF and I will not use K&N filters (other than their oil filters which are rebranded HiFlo filters) and HiFlo makes some of the OEM's filters.

I owe you 98 cents because I just gave you my 2 cents and I don't use pennies.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on the application; my CRF I use OEM and UNI (one in the bike and one in a ziplok bag ready to go in), my 1970 Kawasaki 90 has an OEM which is cared for very carefully, my Triumphs have EMGO reproduction OEM which is the only thing available other than K&N, my TRX400EX UNI and TWIN AIR, my VT100 Shadow has a HiFlo OEM style aftermarket replacement, my Harley has a BikeMaster replica replacement and my Polaris the OEM or All Balls paper filter with the sock prefilter, I have even used Uni bulk foam to make replacement filter for some of my vintage bikes for which no filter is available from any source - I simply will not use a gauze filter - the nylon Polaris sock and OuterWear prefilters actually filter out smaller particles than the actual K&N. If you need the performance over the longevity of the engine, then K&N will aid in gaining a bit more power at the cost of more frequent engine service, but the performance is a cost of racing. If you are not into all out performance, then stay with the OEM style filter. I race my 04 CRF with the stock and Uni filter and change them after every race, but the engine gets a new piston every 30 hours (about every 4 months) as routine maintenance - I have a spare cylinder for the time I go to replace the piston and find that it needs replaced too - when that happens, I will have the original cylinder bore re-plated and it will be my spare. I will not use a Niche or Athena cylinder on my CRF and I will not use K&N filters (other than their oil filters which are rebranded HiFlo filters) and HiFlo makes some of the OEM's filters.

I owe you 98 cents because I just gave you my 2 cents and I don't use pennies.
Im going to ship this K&N filter to you at no charge and you can burn it! LOL

Good to know all the info! I appreciate your insight and years of experience.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
329 Posts
I have used UNI air filters in my last four atv's. They are easy to clean and oil again. Can purchase the cleaner/oiler kit for about $25 dollars. Bought my filters and cleaner/oiler kit off Ebay. Filters are around $28 shipped.

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
trash day is coming up. will be sending it to the landfill.
I guess you got your fill of berating? Only the uneducated buy K&N for off road - on road they are not too bad, but for the cost they are not worth it - they will not provide better mileage or engine longevity. The fuel injection on cars and trucks is pretty much perfected and if you put in a low restriction air filter, the injection simply adjusts for the change and the vehicle fuel economy remains the same, but you might gain a little bit in full throttle acceleration and top speed, but how often do you run full throttle down public roads? (Maybe you should not answer that)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love constructive criticism and factual information. I honestly appreciate it! I hope this thread stays, incase someone is interested, they can educate themselves.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Threads just don't simply disappear, its's the internet, your post is forever!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've got 4 K&N filters in a box at the shop I've taken off machines that came in needing rebuilt because they'd been breathing dirt. I wouldn't use them on a lawn mower.
Free to anyone that wants them.
What the world need are more good friends like you. Bull shit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just MPO, but I would not install a new K&N if it was free - I like my motor better than K&N does
Can the same be said even with the inclusion of the K&N pre-filter?(sock) and what if riding in non-dusty conditions?

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
Can the same be said even with the inclusion of the K&N pre-filter?(sock) and what if riding in non-dusty conditions?
Yes - the pre-filter catches the large particles to help keep the filter itself clean longer - both the pre-filter and the K&N filter pass the smaller particles that paper and foam filters catch.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes - the pre-filter catches the large particles to help keep the filter itself clean longer - both the pre-filter and the K&N filter pass the smaller particles that paper and foam filters catch.

Buying/Ordering a R2C Air Filter soon.

Reactions: MrEd
1 - 20 of 22 Posts