Polaris ATV Forum banner

Storing an ATV on a trailer in your garage... Yes? No?

24K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SportsmanJV 
#1 ·
So I have a Polaris 570 Sportsman, Polaris ACE and a Triton trailer currently taking up all the space in my garage. If I was to load just one of the machines on the trailer, I'd be able to get my wife's car in. Are there any issues with keeping a machine on a trailer for an extended period of time I.e. not good for the tires on the trailer? Thanks for any insight you may have?

#2 ·
heck no there's not...all of our drag racing trailers are a second shed/garage and stay loaded year round and get pulled all over the Midwest/country.

Want to go overboard, load up your stuff, then get jack stands to take all the weight off the tires/suspension for the long sit...ez pee-z

#4 ·
honestly keeping it indoors so tires don't see UV rays will extend trailer tire life (the biggest rot factor when they sit outdoors yr round) and taking pressure off the tires/suspension will only help extend it's service life....just like most racers remove all their valvetrain on any car that sits for months on end to save valvesprings and jack their cars up off the ground to decompression the suspension...it all helps, and your gaining parking, so it's better yet.

#6 ·
Sounds like me a couple years ago. I had to finally build a toy box so I could park my truck in the garage LOL.

#8 ·
If you aren't using the jack stands, take two precautions:

1). Ensure you have enough tongue weight in case someone accidentally bumps the trailer it doesn't coast right into the closed garage door or do a trailer wheelie.

2). Chock the tires to prevent that accidental coasting thing I mentioned above.

#11 ·
For the past 2 years I have kept mine under a cover in the backyard (no choice unfortunaly, will be going inside soon as i now have a 3 car garage but its full right now). It has shown no ill effects from this so a trailer would be an upgrade. If you are not going to ride it often then a battery maintainer would be recommended or remove the battery.

As a matter of fact...it just went a month without running and I got it out over the holiday and it cranked right up! I run 0W40 so not a lot of resistance on the starter motor.

Might want to put a couple of glue traps or rat poison on the footwells to keep the critters at bay. Those little things can really chew up your wiring or invade your engine with nesting materials.

also, snowing like crazy and the plow is not on it yet. Never ahead of the game!

#13 ·
Dont know how much tinkering you do in the garage/shop but from experience i learned at a very young age 3t jack stands r great if you dont like moving under something since they dont go very high. Buy a few sets of 6t stands and at some point you will thank yourself since they are not only stronger but go about twice as high as the typical 3t stands.

#14 ·
I actually have a trailer jack rated for 1500lbs, which I will keep down, but slightly off the ground by placing the jacks under the tongue and in the back. I just don't want the trailer jack holding all of the weight for extended periods of time. Thanks for the note on the 3t vs 6t.

#15 ·
you aren't going to hurt that jack one bit...you got to remember total weight of trailer+ atv's divide by how many points will support the load so say 2400lbs total divided by 2 jack stands and tounge jack is only 800lbs at each point of support.

#16 ·
I used to keep my trailer with my sleds on it in the garage but now I have too much stuff so I store the sleds and the wheeler inside but the trailer outside. Where I'm going is that at least for my Floe Trailer, the wheels are each underneath the deck enough that the sun doesn't hit them as much as say a boat trailers' tires. sot the tires don't weather check as fast. In addition I can fit two sleds or two wheelers one on either side of the trailer tongue if it is in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.