Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The short story: Bought my 2009 500 HO at Easter. About a week later, I put it on it's side. It kept running so I just turned it back on it's wheel. No problem. We went vacation last week and we were WAY out in the sticks and it died!! It made like it was running out of fuel and died. Checked the tank, still full. Waited about 15 minutes...still no start!?!?! Had the wife and her new HO 400 tow me. After about another 30 minutes....fires up like nothing's wrong!?!?! We headed back to the trailer....POST HASTE!!!! Just got back onto the main trail back to the trailer and the same thing all over again!! Had to winch onto the trailer. Went back home to the dealer. The mechanic found that there was about "2 ounces of oil in the air box". He cleaned the oil up and replaced the filter and said it was OK now. We took them for a ride on Friday and the same thing happened again!! This bkie only has 50 hours and 400 miles on it. I am not a happy rider right now!!! Let me know what you think about this stalling problem. It has me wondering if I made a mistake buying this bike!! I was advised to buy "carb" instead of EFI......HMMMM.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Possible fuel pump, I would have the mechanic check to make sure you have the proper fuel pressure when this happens. The oil in the air box happens if the machine is over filled or tipped over. The only way this will make your machine die is if most of the filter is covered in oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter never was covered or partially covered. I will mention it to have the fuel pump checked. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
should of bought a rincon 680 like i should of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do the carburetor sportsmans have a fuel pump? I know there is a fuel filter on the EFI models up front next to the radiator. Im not sure if the carb model has this. I will check today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if its fuel injected yes theres a fuel pump.

if theres a carb its gravity feed. check your petcock on your tank for dirt in it and theres a fuel filter in the line to the carb

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2005 800 is doing the same thing. After about 6 or 8 miles it will start poping and not taking fuel. I have changed the fuel filter and it still does it. Checked the fuel press. When it is running right and its about 39 lbs. Havent had a gauge with me when it acts up but am planning on taking one and checking it

·
Registered
601 Posts
MY 500HO 2009 is carb....so i'd check all the fuel lines...sounds like you might have a kink some where in the fuel system and the Fuel filter is located on the left side behined the panel for the sportsman 500 HO 2009, MUDDIE49

·
Registered
421 Posts
if theres a carb its gravity feed. check your petcock on your tank for dirt in it and theres a fuel filter in the line to the carb
not true. my 2008 and my old 2000 sportsmans have a pump. its not electric. its a vacume pump. behind left tire. carb fuel filters are by the carb. take the seat off. its by the carb. the efi fuel filters are in the tank with the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 06 800 sportman had a similar problem but mine was plug wires were not seated properly filling the top side of spark plug hole with water and i assume it was shorting out the plug wires. since i have the plug boots over the holes properly it has never done it since. and this all happened shortly after it was new and no problem last 3 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts