Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Sportsman owner, and my ATV is only about a week old. Bought it brand new. There is a very faint whistle sound coming from the rear - only when moving. Could it be a grease point or a bearing, or just break-in noises? I do tend to over think things, but I figured it was worth asking about.

She hasn't even touched water or mud yet, just grass, dirt/dust, and sticks.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I figured I was just being paranoid, especially since I have been babying her, but just wanted some feedback.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree - normal.

I chased that sound for a long time. Comes from inside the clutch housing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just started chasing a whistle. Just got her,'12 850 . 235 miles and 35 hrs or so. Everything seems to be working fine. Appears not to have been ridden hard, all stock since birth.
When I am in low, haven't heard it at all. When I'm in high, normal until 50 mph, then a loud whistle, that gets quieter as you continue to accel. It doesn't completely go away, but gets quieter.
When I got it, fresh oil in motor,front,rear diff, and tranny. What came out all looked good. Proper oils put in each respective area.
Normal or do I need to clean clutch and cover,ect
Sorry for the long post, 1st polaris

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just started chasing a whistle. Just got her,'12 850 . 235 miles and 35 hrs or so. Everything seems to be working fine. Appears not to have been ridden hard, all stock since birth.
When I am in low, haven't heard it at all. When I'm in high, normal until 50 mph, then a loud whistle, that gets quieter as you continue to accel. It doesn't completely go away, but gets quieter.
When I got it, fresh oil in motor,front,rear diff, and tranny. What came out all looked good. Proper oils put in each respective area.
My 550 does the same thing. Never does it until I hit about 45-50mph. Then all of a sudden a loud whistle sound. Has done it from day one and still does at 73hrs on the machine. Its almost like I have a coaches whistle on the front of my bike and when the wind gets moving through the machine it starts blowing. Have let others ride it and they all say that it seems to be coming from the pod/speedo area. Bike runs perfect so I just quit worrying about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 550 does the same thing. Never does it until I hit about 45-50mph. Then all of a sudden a loud whistle sound. Has done it from day one and still does at 73hrs on the machine. Its almost like I have a coaches whistle on the front of my bike and when the wind gets moving through the machine it starts blowing. Have let others ride it and they all say that it seems to be coming from the pod/speedo area. Bike runs perfect so I just quit worrying about it.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Figured out the problem. Front rack has the rack extender on it,wind was causing a loud whistle, passing through the raised bars on the rack.
Took the rack off, whistle stopped.
Replaced with the front storage rack today,no more whistle.
I am going to remove the extender tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Figured out the problem. Front rack has the rack extender on it,wind was causing a loud whistle, passing through the raised bars on the rack.
Did you have the composite rack extender? Thats the one I have on mine and its been on there from day one. What do you mean by replaced it with the front storage rack, going to remove the extender? I am assuming that you replaced the front rack with the lock and ride storage box like the one that comes on the limited editions/X2 models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you have the composite rack extender? Thats the one I have on mine and its been on there from day one. What do you mean by replaced it with the front storage rack, going to remove the extender? I am assuming that you replaced the front rack with the lock and ride storage box like the one that comes on the limited editions/X2 models.
Yes, mine has the composite rack extender, and that is the culprit. I am going to remove the extender later today. Yea, I have the ride storage box locked on the front now.
It was just an air flow issue, I guess through the v of the composite extender.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks. That is so crazy. Gonna take the rack off and try mine out tonight

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hope it gets it, feel pretty sure it will.
If yours whistled loud as mine, you will enjoy riding a heck of a lot more now..:fest06:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts