Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently bought a 2012 Sportsman 850 XP HO EPS and realize there weren't any anchor point or tie down point in the back for me to use to strap it down on my trailer. Is there a close up picture that shows where I can safely strap it down in front and rear of my atv? Wanted to take extra precaution due to hauling it on rough roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Use the hooks on the rear receiver, and the recovery hook on the front. This is how I anchor my 400 down.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Use the hooks on the rear receiver, and the recovery hook on the front. This is how I anchor my 400 down.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
That is what I use. I wish the ATV would bounce off the trailer and get hit by a truck. I would get a ticket then for un secured items on a trailer but at least the XP would be gone.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
That is what I use. I wish the ATV would bounce off the trailer and get hit by a truck. I would get a ticket then for un secured items on a trailer but at least the XP would be gone.

Ronnie
Ride it to town, maybe someone will steal it!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Ronnie, you know it's not unheard of for a big tree to fall the wrong way when being cut down and land on a perfectly good ATV that has full coverage insurance on it.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
This. Those are the points that the owner's manual states to use as well.

Ronnie, why don't you just sell it? Hunting seasons are kicking in so the market for used ones is getting ready to peak.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I would have to agree with ChickenHawk about the tire bonnets. That is the system I use. It allows the suspension to work and never puts any stress on the tie down straps. No worries about going over a bump and breaking a strap, or having it come unhooked from the trailer.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I also strap mine back to front and double front to back. BUT I also use 1.5 or 2" ratcheting straps. I never trusted the 1" jobbers!!

Then I splay the back to front straps. Lastly I strap down the front, compressing the suspension. The splayed straps keep the rear from moving and pulling. Down the front ties that down.

I have looked I to the tire straps/mounts as Bob mentioned and thi k this would be great setup combined with a single binder at the hitch.

I feel its simply good advice to use a better bigger stronger ratchet strap.

CW

·
Registered
112 Posts
X2 - tying the wheels down seems more secure without compressing the suspension..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
This. Those are the points that the owner's manual states to use as well.

Ronnie, why don't you just sell it? Hunting seasons are kicking in so the market for used ones is getting ready to peak.
There wouldn't be an animal around for 5 miles. The noise off the motor would scare them all off. Even the animals that are deaf would hear it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
294 Posts
There wouldn't be an animal around for 5 miles. The noise off the motor would scare them all off. Even the animals that are deaf would hear it.

Ronnie
They might mistake it for a corn feeder going off. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also agree with chickenhawk. I just finished setting my trailer up for wheel bonnets. It's amazing the difference. More secure than four straps and no damage to the suspension. I picked up the bonnets at harbor freight and with a 25% coupon they were $22.75. They also have a 3300lbs working load. Highly recommend.

2013 Sportsman 550 pursuit camo

Badlands 3000lbs winch

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use a carabiner clip through the front loop & another in my three way receiver hitch mount. I secure each with one 2" ratchet strap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts