Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
18,967 Posts
Not that I am aware of - would be different in each state as they were not manufactured as DOT vehicles - they are recreational vehicles like boats.

If I take the wings off an airplane and modify the suspension, does anyone make a plug and play street legal kit for it?

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,638 Posts
Does anyone make a plug n play kit to make a 2021 Sportsman 570 street legal ??
There are turn signal with horn kits available on the internet, I don’t think they are plug n play. You will also need DOT approved tires in some states as well. -double check your state laws of what’s required.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I need a horn and turn signals to keep MT happy. I had hoped that maybe there would be connections available off the standard wiring harness.
I know there are connections available for heated grips and thumb throttle and some kind of power connection off the rear for trailer needs.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Yep, it has connections for some accessories, but as LB stated, it wasn’t designed to be an On Road machine. I think in reality, it’s a very low percentage of people wanting to make an ATV street legal, and in many states it’s not possible at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it has connections for some accessories, but as LB stated, it wasn’t designed to be an On Road machine. I think in reality, it’s a very low percentage of people wanting to make an ATV street legal, and in many states it’s not possible at all.
Yeah my situation is I can drive the 1 mile to the end of my dirt road then 1 more mile on county road to our mail box. It’s supposed to be street legal. Would anyone ever bust my chops ?? probably not but I don’t need to do much to meet requirements.
Additionally I’m not wanting to run down the roads at 40-50 mph….I don’t bounce as good as I used to and I for sure heal slower !!

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Yeah my situation is I can drive the 1 mile to the end of my dirt road then 1 more mile on county road to our mail box. It’s supposed to be street legal. Would anyone ever bust my chops ?? probably not but I don’t need to do much to meet requirements.
Additionally I’m not wanting to run down the roads at 40-50 mph….I don’t bounce as good as I used to and I for sure heal slower !!
Lol, me to!…..well if you are handy, I’m sure you can buy a kit and install it….there is quite a few kits on the internet.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,065 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah, I need a horn and turn signals to keep MT happy. I had hoped that maybe there would be connections available off the standard wiring harness.
I know there are connections available for heated grips and thumb throttle and some kind of power connection off the rear for trailer needs.
All you need in Montana is a horn. Hand signals are acceptable on an ATV. It is really pretty easy, just go to the court house and tell them it has a horn and you want plates for street. and off road sticker. . DMV no longer checks them. You do not need DOT tires. I hook the horn from the accessory wire to a button on the handle bar. Now that they no longer check them, I don't even bother putting on the horn. I guess if I ever get picked up, I may pay a fine. I live in a small town and ATV's are so common on the streets, the police do not even bother with them.

D

·
Registered
756 Posts
riding on public streets in Montana, it includes all city streets, county roads, and U.S. Forest Service system roads. Notably, BLM roads are not classified as public roads. ATV and UTV use is permitted on BLM Roads and do not have to be street legal and the operator is not required to have a license.
You can operate an ATV or UTV on public streets in Montana if you have made your vehicle street legal. This process requires that your ATV or UTV be equipped with a mirror, horn, headlight, and brake lights.
To ride an ATV or UTV on the street, it must be registered as a motor vehicle and display a proper license plate. The operator must also have a valid driver’s license of course.
You may not carry a passenger on the street unless it is designed to carry said passenger. Anyone under the age of 18 must also wear a helmet.

I forgot about the Mirror. I do install a mirror but that is for my comfort to see if my buddies are coming behind me.

Install a mirror and horn and you are good to go. Or, depending on your town law enforcement, just ride it like it is.

D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts