Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I stripped a lug bolt on my 850 LE. What is the best way to remove it. One way I thought was to tack weld the back of the bolt head to the brake rotor. Am I safe in doing this?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Is the lug nut off?
The hub is alloy.......can not weld the stud to it.
As far as welding it to the brake rotor, the centralized heat may warp it.
What is stripped, the threads or is the entire stud spinning?
If the stud its self is spinning in the hub, you could try LockTite, the green assembly lube.
Next step would be something like JB Weld, best fix would be a new hub

·
Registered
326 Posts
Changed all the wheel studs/lug bolts on my 05 600. All i did was grab a hammer and hammer it out. Whe you put the new one in grab the lug nuts and tighten the new stud with the lug nut its self.and when you feel the wheel stud is prettty much in grab the wheel.and put it back together the stud wont come off becuase your forcing it in at the same time your tightening you wheel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm thinking he's saying that he stripped the splines in the hub. Did it strip the lug bolt or did the hub strip?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I try to tighten the lug nut the whole bolt and nut turn in the hub. I'm assuming the hub is stripped because the bolt is steel. What I'm going to try is to spot weld the flat head of the bolt to the brake rotor and see if I can remove the lug nut and wheel. Does anyone have another idea?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're going to scrap a rotor if you weld on it plus you won't be able to get the rotor off to replace whatever needs replacing. Can you get a pair of vice grips to the back end of the lug to hold it so you can take the nut off? Then you can drive the lug out like it should be.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If it stripped the hub your going to need a new hub anyway because a new stud is just going to turn in the hub. So I guess you could go ahead and spot weld it to get the lug nut and wheel off to replace the hub.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would cut a slot in the stud, or weld a tab to the stud.
I would not waste a rotor, until I exhausted all other ideas.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
can you not use a nut breaker to break the nut then pound out the stud? If the hole in the hub is too big have it heli arc'ed and redrilled. Just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Went out an looked at mine.....with the wheel on, I have no idea what you can do.
Nut breaker is your best bet

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
get some quick steel make sure you set it right and that stuff will hold in in tight! Did that to my 800 around 4 months after owning it, held up for about 4000 miles tell I replaced all my hubs and bearing carriers :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Weld something to the back of the stud so you can hold it.
Take off the lug nut and then drive out the stud.

When putting back in, use lock tite and be gentle torquing the nuts. I had a terrible time with stripping the threads of off the studs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You could take a 1/4 nut and tack it once on the outside of the nut and once on the inside of the nut on the backside of the wheel stud this way you can hold the stud from spinning with a 7/16 wrench. Be sure to place the tack on the outside where you want the open end of the wrench. Also I tack welded one of my studs on my xp to the brake rotor and it didn't warp the rotor. It got me through a few rides until I replaced the studs. Even with the stud tacked on to the rotor you can still get the brake rotor off the hub. It will just have a stud welded on to it. Just be sure to mark wich hole gets the welded stud.

·
Registered
66 Posts
loose stud removal

jfn: If You can find a regular nut and use a long nose pliers to hold nut against backside of stud and weld in middle of nut to stud. better if you have acess to mig and weld together, then when cool abit you can hold stud with socket on one side and take off wheel stud on other side thats how I take off broken exhaust manifold studs broken off on engine blocks. have a good day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I came up with a solution. Craftsman tools has a bolt and nut extractor that I think will fit perfectly on the round head of a lug bolt, 5/8".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very cool........please let me know how that works

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had good luck on smaller bolts with those helical removers.
The last PITA bolt came out with this cam lock remover. Also craftsman.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i would take a dremel and cut the lug nut off, then you can rap on the stud softly with a hammer and tap it out. when installing the new stud just put it in through the back side, then using a bunch of washers space it off the hub and tighten the stud until it reseats its self. I should note this is how I do it on cars, and it is about a 15 minute job. not bad at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
what ever you do, make sure to use antiseize and a torque wrench when you put wheels on for now on ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts