Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i did a rookie mistake tightened the oil plug to tight the last time I changed oil.It came off ok hand started it would never tighten then of course wouldnt come out. got lucky got it out. now do I just tap it out one size bigger thread and then flush with oil ( i figure 2 qaurts ) . A friend suggested a hellicoil . :feedback:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Helicoil would be the way to go. Then you have steel threads, better than new. Just make sure none of the chips get left in the case. I would flush with diesel a few times if you aren't going to open up the cases. Heavy grease packed around the drill bit and tap will also help you keep control of the chips.

Me, I would split the cases to be sure none of the chips made their way to my internals, but I've seen it done without splitting them. Your call.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stripped plug

Thanks cdakers the tip with the grease on the drill bit and tap is a good trick .
I will flush with diesel then oil to be safe, will try to find the right hellicoil tommorow. Thanks again hopefully I will get it fixed so I can ride this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stripped plug fixed

:five: Cdakers the grease trick works really good keeping the metal shaveings out of the crank case. I tried it with and with out grease on a chunk of half inch aluminum, with out grease the tap threw shavings all over.With grease no shavings. kept them to the tap and drill. I flushed the crankcase with 4 qaurts of regular oil then 2 qaurts of polaris 0-40. put the heliciol in and life is good no leaks. ran it for while no problems. thanks again for the tip cdaker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts